GO!

How Much Food Is a Meal?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 7:26am PST 
I'm just looking for opinions on how much food total is a serving. I'm terrible at math. Okay twice a day I feed the dogs one bowl each.
Each bowl has 1 cup of dry kibble, about a quarter cup of wet food, half a freeze dried disk crumbled and a square of cheese mixed with warm water.
Sophie is 55lb and Callie is 35lbs and still slightly underweight. They hike and exercise every day. Am I feeding them basically the right amount? With Callie it's hard to tell, he's the kind of dog who inhales his meals and everything else.
[notify]
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 8:32am PST 
I never go by the amount to feed on the bag or can. If I did, Savannah would be a butterball. I weigh her regularly and then adjust the amount I feed up or down. For kibble I go by calories per cup and for canned I go by calories per ounce, that way when I switch or rotate I can make sure the daily calories stay the same by adjusting the amount fed. I add in a little extra on high-activity days. If you use treats you count those toward total daily calories. A relative's dog gets free fed all day long, gets treats and people food, and is always on the lean side. He is naturally lean, active, and has a high metabolism. If your dogs truly won't gain despite having an obscene amount of high-quality food there could be an underlying medical issue. HTH.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 10:28pm PST 
Dog food should have enriched with fresh water, proteins, fats and carbohydrates that build maintain muscles, organs, bones, blood, body tissues, hair, nails, and the immune system.
[notify]

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 4:44am PST 
Start with the guidelines on what you're feeding and play from there - usually they are too high, but if you have a skinny dog you could stand to feed more. Age, breed, activity level, general health, and metabolism all play huge roles in how much a dog needs to eat, so no matter what it's going to vary by dog.

If she's eating and eating and still not gaining weight, there's an underlying problem.
[notify]