GO!

Signs of Allergies to Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 12:41pm PST 
What are some warning signs that a dog could be allergic to their food?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 2:04pm PST 
Max had eye goobers if he ate wheat. Even rice seems suspect.
Max had massive amounts of black goo in his ears when he ate sardines.
Not sure which food caused it but he was licking his lower front legs even causing a couple of little wart type growths on them that seem to have vanished.
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 2:19pm PST 
Bella gets vomiting and diarrhea when she eats grains..most notably rice and corn. Chicken and lamb cause diarrhea and severe side itching. Potatoes cause front feet licking which turned into toenail infections almost immediately.
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 2:43pm PST 
Thanks for the responses everyone. way to go Just curious.
[notify]
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 6:33pm PST 
We think Olive is allergic to chicken, but we haven't been able to pinpoint it through an elimination diet. (Someone will forget and give her a chicken nugget or something half way through each trial and we assume all hope is lost).

We've always fed her ToTW lamb or fish variety. Well, this time we decided to do the waterfowl TOTW food to see what would happen, and she's developed licking her fur off on her front paws and hind legs and generally seems itchy and bothersome. When fed raw chicken, she seems to go between diarrhea and normal stools - so, not sure what to think - but we're deciding that she probably does have some sensitivity to chicken (a little seems to be OK, a lot seems to spell disaster), so we're laying off the chicken in the future.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 7:33am PST 
My vet says typically if the food allergies are severe, you'll see either diarrhea or constipation, something going on digestively first. Then it shows up in the eyes and ears, more gunk than normal. Then it starts to effect the skin, generally the feet and lower legs. Dogs will often lick and bite the legs and paws, and you can tell that they feel itchy.

It seems that if a dog is biting and scratching their sides a lot, that may be environmental allergies like freshly cut grass, lots of pollen in the air etc. That tends to show up on their bellies and undersides of legs, too.

Incidentally, I have severe allergies to some foods and the same process happens with me when I ingest something accidentally; digestive first if it's not bad enough to make my throat swell, then eyes/ears, then skin itching and hives. It's no fun and only benadryl seems to help.
[notify]
Hemingway

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 11:44pm PST 
I was pretty sure Hemingway was allergic to his food, but after reading this I'm positive! I have finally found a food that does not give him diarrhea (Acana), but he licks his front legs, and has little spots/scabs on him that his groomer said could be a sign of allergy. He also has pink/rust color around eyes and where he licks the legs. So, what do all of you who have sensitive dogs feed?
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:59am PST 
Hemingway...Bella was eating NVI Salmon but we have recently switched to Innova Prime Salmon and Herring. What is important is that you find what works best with your dog..we still do not have it perfect with Bella but she is doing good..I think we are dealing with environmental allergies too. It took us awhile to find a food for Bella because she has an allergy to potatoes which a lot of quality foods use as a binder. She had major yeast problems and since eliminating the potatoes she had not had to take meds or go to the vet ( well not for yeast anyway). I would look at the ingredients you are feeding now if figure out which one to eliminate. I would not change everything, so find something that is similar but without grains for example. Also it is terribly uncommon for a dog to develop allergies to a food they gave been exposed to for an extended period of time. I am in constant search for a food I can switch Bella too so she does not develop allergies to salmon..I try to change the binder (tapioca and lentils) I am trying out home cooking now...not terribly difficult and I as able to make a weeks worth of food in about an hour...but I am only doing a topper..so I don't have to be concerned too much about balancing.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 12:54pm PST 
Cooked or processed chicken = scratching herself bald.

But she CAN eat raw chicken.
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 2:59pm PST 
itching, eye discharge, bad breath, hot spots, etc.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2