GO!

Need high-calorie canned food suggestions

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Prince- Mungo's- Memorial

Prince Prodigy- Puppy

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 6:14pm PST 
We're having trouble maintaining M's weight. Any recommendations for high-quality high-calories canned foods?
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 8:25pm PST 
zwipeak canned green tripe. It's actually pretty reasonable in cost compared to the freeze dried. Orijen also. NV instinct beef has I am not kidding you the highest calorie i have ever seen in a dry, I think their canned version should be comparable.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 7:26am PST 
Feeding more calories per meal might not help. His gut could get overloaded and he might just poop out the excess. Try adding a meal instead, just divide up what you give him now into 3 meals a day then very cautiously mix in a bit of that good stuff. Tripe, yum.
[notify]

Prince Prodigy- Puppy

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 2:51pm PST 
Taggert -- I'll check out NV Instinct Beef canned. Prince M cannot eat dry kibble. Only soft food. Isn't tripe pretty low calorie?

Maxwell -- M is on a every 4 hour feeding schedule, round the clock. Often he's not interested in food and must be syringe fed. So, hoping a higher calorie food could help him reach a healthier weight.
[notify]

Prince Prodigy- Puppy

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 10:49am PST 
We're trying Nature's Variety Instinct Beef. And, Innova 95% chicken.

Any other suggestions? shrug
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 1:52pm PST 
I used to feed Vance Canine Caviar's canned beaver. It's ridiculously high-calorie - I believe the recommended serving for our 50lb target weight was 1/3 of a can a day.

Sweet potatoes seemed to put weight on him too. For a while he was eating about 3 a day (plus meat/veg) and doing well, however, since you have to buy them raw by the pound it gets expensive fast.
[notify]

Prince Prodigy- Puppy

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 10:05am PST 
Vance, thanks for the suggestion! Ordering a case now.
[notify]