GO!

Boston Terrier Food Suggestions

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 8:04pm PST 
I've tried to google some foods that come highly recommended for Boston Terriers in particular. I know when we we're looking at Min Pins, almost every breeder I looked at was feeding Blue Buffalo Small Breed. I was just wondering if this would work for out Boston Terrier who is coming home in three weeks. I'm fine with the price of Blue Buffalo so anything around that price range is fine for a suggestion. Unfortunately she is on Purina Puppy Chow silenced I do not plan on keeping on that longer than I have to (just long enough to make an easy transition to something better, WAY better.) so any suggestions around the Blue Buffalo price range is welcomed. I know Boston Terriers are prone to be gassy but a lot of that can be contributed to diet.
[notify]
Lucy Belle

The Pogo Stick

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 10:51pm PST 
Your BT is so cute!

Lucy has to eat a grain free food or she clears the house with her gas. She eats Taste of the Wild. They have a puppy line now and they are very affordable. I pay about $42 for 30 pounds, I assume the puppy line would cost about the same.

Good luck with your BT baby! I adore my Lucy, BTs are great dogs.
[notify]
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 7:35am PST 
Thanks for the info! We'll look into them, I live in a small town about an hour away from any Petco or Petsmart so I will have to buy my food from a feed store (more large animal oriented but they do carry dog food) so I'll have to see what's available. I'd love to just order online but in the winter UPS and FedEx sometimes are prolonged due to the mountain road conditions, sometime the road is entirely closed down, and I'd hate to rely on a delivery in winter.
[notify]

Tuvok

Toovy Doovy Doo- Ready and- Willing!

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 8:33am PST 
I feed Taste of the wild. It really works well with these little guys. I rotate between the different formulas.

Purina puppy chow? Wow. the Boston people I know won't touch the stuff.

Bostons also do well with adding raw a few times a week.
[notify]
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 8:49am PST 
Tuvok I juuuusssttt posted into the Raw section, feel free to leave me tidbits there too!

Looks like Taste of The Wild is a popular choice for the Bostons. Just about every Min Pin breeder I looked at did Blue Buffalo, I looked at the label and I liked it, but surely a Boston Terrier VS Min Pin diet needs would vary. BT breeders varied from a wide range of spectrum so I wasn't able to find one solid brand that was more popular than the rest, believe it or not some of the lower grade kibbles we're more popular among the various breeders (all over the USA) than any one higher quality kibble, quite frustrating. When googling to see any good articles on BT diet for kibbles I found nothing as well!
[notify]
Tuvok

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 4:56pm PST 
Bostons do best on the better quality foods.

If you want to feed food with a grain in it, oats and barley work best.

Stay away from soy, beet pulp, corn and any food that you need to feed a lot of such as pedigree or Eukanuba. If you don't you'll have issues with gassiness and stomach upset.

Mine have also done well on blue buffalo wilderness, inova evo, natures variety instinct. There were a few other grain free foods I tried with success.

An easy way to do raw is to feed natures variety raw. I recommend it. The Bostons do great on it and don't eat much.

If you are feeding mostly kibble, you can do raw by just adding meat to the diet. one time a week feed a chicken wing or two for a meal. The next raw meal can be a piece of chuck roast. Adding a half a chicken liver or a small piece of calves liver to one of the meals is good. Throw in a small piece of beef kidney or chicken kidney if you can find it(I find these in the backs of chickens). This should be balanced enough for a mostly kibble fed dog.

The amount of meat to feed is a about the same in volume than the amount you feed of a grain free kibble (for a Boston terrier).

If you want to totally feed raw, Be VERY careful about feeding any bone other than chicken necks, backs or wings to a Boston. You can find out more about raw in the raw forum but remember my warning about bone for this breed.
[notify]
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 5:17pm PST 
The bone warning is related to their snouts being short? If so could you explain more or point me where I can find info on this?
[notify]
Tuvok

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 6:06pm PST 
It's a personal experience thing. Bostons have small mouths with an irregular bite, small crooked teeth, a longer than normal soft palate and a crooked airway. Crunching the bigger bones caused issues with breaking teeth and choking.

My older dog Gracie has a hard time crunching the bigger bones and ended up choking and passing out. I almost lost her right there in my kitchen. Once she passed out I was able to hang her up side down and squeeze her and the big piece of chicken leg bone with some meat fell out. shock

I've heard about a Frenchie dying this way as well, so be careful.

The recommendations i gave you for bone is what Gracie can easily handle though I still watch her eat to make sure. It's even safer to feed the pre ground bone, but the dogs do enjoy chewing the chicken necks, wings and backs.

Edited by author Sat Mar 24, '12 6:17pm PST

[notify]
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 8:21pm PST 
Thanks Tuvok you've been so informative on the Bostons I can't thank you enough! As a puppy I think I'll stick to chew sticks till she's older to handle bones anyways!
[notify]
Lucy Belle

The Pogo Stick

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 11:49pm PST 
Lucy will vomit up bully stick too, but that may be because she tries to eat them too quickly.

Lucy has eaten Blue Buffalo Wilderness too, but I buy TOTW because it is less expensive and just as high quality.

Tuvok is adorable too! smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2