GO!

Why is she suddenly eating dog poop?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kloppers

Are you talking- to me?

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 10:30am PST 
Bella has always eaten cat poop when she found it in the yard, but now she has started eating the other dogs poop.

Could this be related to the recent food change that we made? She only started doing this within the past week..and we are starting week two of a new food.

Just a history..they were eating TOTW and now Bella is eating NVI Salmon and the rest of the dogs are eating Orijen 6 Fish and Honest Kitchen Love.

Thanks for any input!

Also I have heard before that feeding pineapple to the dog whose poop was being eaten and it would deter the eater from continuing.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 11:06pm PST 
Maybe she wants Honest Kitchen too laugh out loud

(Seriously though!)

It seems like some dogs go through periods of wanting to eat poop. (giving her pineapple may only deter her from her own)

I'd address it nutritionally, maybe offer her a little other food and see if she's eager for it?
[notify]
Bella

Rub my Belly!

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 3:50am PST 
Thanks Adam..the only reason Bella is not getting what the others do is because she can not have potatoes. It is difficult to find a potato free food that she can eat because she is also allergic to chicken, lamb, corn, and wheat. The NVI is working for her..I am planning on adding a wet food to her diet in a month..but that won't make Xmas poop less delicious.

I was planning on feeding pineapple to Xmas and Zoe..but it seems that she only eats Xmas's..could Xmas not digest this food?? Everything I found on the internet suggested poor quality food, I am pretty sure that is not the case, but maybe Xmas needs something differentshrug
[notify]

Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 4:51am PST 
Chase and Cooper both eat my mom's dogs poop. We have tried everything and have not been able to get them to stop. She's 12 years old and we think she has a hard time digesting her food, but if you are feeding THK then I wouldn't think that would be it. Some people have had success with pineapple, and over the counter stool eating deterrents. However most have MSG in them and I would not recommend giving it to a dog. Some have cayenne pepper in them, but I would think that would upset the dogs stomach.

Really the best thing you can do is pick the poop up right after it's deposited. I know that can be hard, but that is the only thing that has stopped Chase and Cooper
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 4:58am PST 
I found this on a website. I hope this helps.
"If your dog eats poop, you should make sure it’s not because of a health issue. Some dogs will start eating poop when they aren’t absorbing enough nutrients, they have parasites, or they have issues with their pancreas. All coprophagic dogs should be examined by a veterinarian."

"A dog’s digestive system is dependent on a specific mix of enzymes to break down carbohydrates, proteins and fats. There is some evidence that suggests that dog digestive systems haven’t quite caught up to modern diets that include less animal protein and far more carbohydrates and plant proteins. Some veterinary nutritionists have suggested that dogs eat stool to replenish enzymes so that they are better prepared to digest their food."

"There is also evidence that dogs that aren’t getting enough of certain nutrients will resort to eating poop. A lack of vitamin B is often said to be a cause of coprophagia."

"Another common theory is that overfeeding a dog can lead to coprophagia. A dog that is overfed can’t absorb all of the nutrients in his food, and thus may try to “recycle” his nutrient rich waste."

Edited by author Tue Jan 17, '12 5:00am PST

[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 5:13am PST 
How does the pineapple work? Do you just feed it as a topper and it makes the poop unappetizing (as if it was so yummy looking beforebig laugh) How much do you feed?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 5:36am PST 
My sister has 2 that used to eat poop. The only thing that worked for her was teaching the "leave it" command and scooping ASAP. She tried nearly all of the " marketed products " that are supposed to stop it with no sucess. Hope you have better luck with Bella.
[notify]
Kloppers

Are you talking- to me?

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 5:55am PST 
Thanks everyone!

I scoop the yard as often as I can, usually every other day.

Bella eats 3 3/8 cups a day and gets some yogurt as well in the morning. I can't imagine she would need less than that..she has been maintaining her weight nicely.

The way I understand the pineapple thing is it makes the dogs stool taste bad..but I would think it taste bad anywaylaugh out loud

Bella has been at the vet many times in the past month, and has bloodwork too..she recently had a dental and was on some antibiotics.

Sorry this is so choppy, I am trying to remember everything said.
[notify]
Andi

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 8:26am PST 
Does your dog consume rawhide, or other dogs consume raw hide. My trainer said that a dog will start eating there poop if bits of rawhide is in it. Why I will never give my dog rawhide.

Edited by author Tue Jan 17, '12 8:27am PST

[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 9:00am PST 
Wow she only prefers one dog's poop!!

Hey I thought of another idea that has nothing to do with nutrition or food. I've heard of dogs cleaning up poop after dogs. It's something like how a mother cleans up the welping pen after her puppies, she'd eat their poop. Is Bella kind of motherly to Xmas?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2