GO!

Top 7 Worst Dog Foods

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 6:56am PST 
Link.

I have to say, I really like how they explain it. Although, I'm still not sure on the whole euthed shelter animals being a part of the rendering process, but the simple, yet detailed explanations really are good.

Although, I'm not in depth on dog food ingredients, so I'm not sure of all of it. What do you guys think? Good, bad, okay? Agree, disagree?
[notify]
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 7:24am PST 
I LOL'd at the first comment on the page!

Personally, I would agree - they're all pretty bad. However, I think this is the worst dog food on the market I've come across: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/doggy-bag/
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 7:53am PST 
What?? No Gravy Train?? shock
You can get a 17# bag of that stuff for like $3 at the Dollar Store

Edited by author Mon Dec 19, '11 7:56am PST

[notify]

Remington's- Saturday- Night Spe

Cute-- and I know it!

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 10:27am PST 
Remi's breeder recommended "Victor's" which I'd never heard of. When I investigated, it's a very good food (rated #4 or #5 depending on which website you check), and very reasonable. Only available in Texas I believe.

Here's the ingredients for their grain-free All Life Stages: Beef Meal, Sweet Potato, Chicken Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Pork Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Egg Product, Flax Seed (Source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids) , Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp, Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Montmorillonite, Salt, Vegetable & Fruit Pomace (Carrot, Peas, Tomato, Celery, Beet, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach, Cranberries, Blueberries), Pumpkin Seed, Blueberries, Apple, Spinach, Monosodium Phosphate, Yeast Extract, Dried Chicory Root, Yeast Culture, Vitamins ( Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B3), Vitamin A Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Source of Vitamin B5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Biotin (Source of Vitamin B7), Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Ascorbic Acid, Folic Acid (Source of Vitamin B9), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Carbonate), L-Lysine, Selenium Yeast, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (Preservatives), Rosemary Extract.

It's $33 for 30#.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 10:38am PST 
I'd agree that these are probably the 7 worst MAINSTREAM dog foods. There are worse, but they are not sold everywhere.

I love some of these comments, also. Like the person claiming that not all dog breeds are meant to eat raw, because apparently dog breeds have broken off and become new species. laugh out loud Or something about how pit bulls need different diets than other dogs to lower aggression. Hah.
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 5:17pm PST 
Remi, Victors is available here in Indiana too. Decent food by a small company.
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 5:20pm PST 
Remi, Victors is available here in Indiana too. Decent food by a small company.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 5:38pm PST 
I'd rather have the dogs fed these than be starved like some I've seen come into the shelter. 'Nuf said.
Charlie

Turd Burglar

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 12:53am PST 
Obviously being fed these foods is better than starving but... as soon as they're in a good home, I'd hope they'd be put on something without BHT/BHA, corn syrup, artificial colours, and synthetic vitamins.... thinking
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 6:23am PST 
Reading the comments was a bit entertaining.
Like the one that says dogs are OMNIVORES and need a PLANT based diet, and of course the one about dogs needing different diets based on breed and pitties needing a no meat diet to lower aggressiveness.
I was also surprised that Gravy Train (Dollar General) was not listed on there. My sister was feeding that crap for a year went through 20 pounds a day on 3 large very skinny dogs, I've now got her hooked on NV Instinct after she saw the huge changes in my Chow when we switched from TOTW.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2