GO!

Mysterious illness and death in dog's linked to chicken jerky treats

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zoey

Barked: Mon Nov 21, '11 1:03pm PST 
Once of my friends posted this on Facebook so I thought I would share/warn people here on Dogster.

Article link
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 21, '11 1:20pm PST 
Chicken in the treats is from China, and they don't know yet what the mysterious substance is that is causing illness. We've read about this awhile back, too. Read labelling very carefully. Dogswell chicken strips in particular say "Made in USA" on the front, but on the back in tiny letters it clearly says "Made in China". Also, Waggin Train chicken strips sold at Costco seem to be causing the illnesses. Their chicken comes from China even though the treats claim "Made in USA". If it's packaged and/or assembled here they can put that on the front.

Always look for what it says in small letters near the UPC code. If the chicken is from China, you'd be wise to toss it. Thanks for posting this reminder.
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 8:40am PST 
http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/21/8885427-chicken-jerky-t reats-linked-to-mystery-illnesses-deaths-in-dogs#comments

Here we go again ... it's so sad, as much as we love Chicken jerky, Cindy will not buy any more for us made in China. There's some in the store that are from U.S. and Brazil though. But you have to read the labels so carefully, as has already been mentioned.

I don't know what the quality control (or lack of them) issue is with Chinese products but I've certainly become skeptical about them.

Cindy did make one batch of homemade jerky for us...that was yummy.
[notify]

Seth

Barked: Wed Nov 23, '11 5:56pm PST 
I also look to see where the jerky treats are made anymore. I used to get them for more dogs often, but with all the problems that seem to come up every month anymore. We do not get it much anymore.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 6:39pm PST 
A dog that I was caring for (after his owner passed away) ate some chicken jerky treats not long before passing away. I had always wondered if this was a direct cause of his death. cry
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 9:02pm PST 
I read about that, too! Someone posted this link and comppany on FB and I ordered chicken and steak jerky from them! Its a little pricey but the dogs love it!

Made in the USA chicken jerky
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 9:03pm PST 
I heard blue buffalo might be involved? Anyone have any information on this? The rescue I foster for just got a HUGE donation of Blue Buffalo food from Petsmart...
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 10:28pm PST 
I don't know how they can say something is made in USA on the front, then in tiny print say made in China. Disgraceful. I know there isn't incredibly strict regulation when it comes to pet products, but I didn't know it was this bad.

I won't buy any treats or foods made in or with ingredients sourced from China. This is just getting ridiculous.

Edited by author Sat Nov 26, '11 10:29pm PST

[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 2:39pm PST 
It looks like your rescue has no need to worry, Sarah. This was posted on Blue Buffalo's Facebook page:

Blue Buffalo chicken jerky products are safe and NOT made in China.

Normally, we wouldn't post about an issue that does not impact us, but we feel it's necessary to clear up some confusion about the latest FDA warning. The FDA is warning that there might be a danger to pet health associated with chicken jerky dog treats that are made in China (see link with this post). Blue Buffalo makes NO products in China and does not source proteins/fruits/vegetables/grains from China. All BLUE products are made in the US.

Also note that the FDA has not yet described any recall action for other brands, though that doesn't mean they will not at some point. Regardless, it will not impact BLUE.

Thanks for your support.
--BB
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 3:05pm PST 
Thank you Bailey! BB doesn't even have chicken jerky that I know of... I keep telling people on FB that BB is not involved but they don't believe me....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2