GO!

Feeding canola oil?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Mandi

Many hands make- the load- lighter.

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 11:47pm PST 
A dog trainer friend recently told me that I should add canola oil to Mandi's kibble to help her gain weight. What does everyone else think of this? Can dogs digest canola oil? Is there a better alternative? I did a google search but couldn't find much.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 12:28am PST 
I'd use fish or salmon oil instead personally. It's great for skin and coat- not sure about weight gain though. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with canola oil but it's not the best source of omegas.

Edited by author Sun Aug 28, '11 12:43am PST

[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 6:47am PST 
I'm not a fan of canola oil because its gmo, I would stick with fish oil like salmon, sardine or anchovy.
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 9:04am PST 
Agreed with above posters. I'd go with a fish oil instead.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 1:20pm PST 
Mandi, a lot of dog foods (even high quality ones) use canola oil as a fat source in their kibble. It's not harmful, and of course it adds calories if a dog is skinny and needs some extra. But if you can afford it, fish oil is a better choice because it provides omega-3s also.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 11:16am PST 
canola oil is a cheaper oil and is linked to heart disease. I won't use it. I would try fish oil.
[notify]