GO!

My local specialty petstore bought out by Petco!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 9:05am PST 
I've got two indepent pet supply stores in my area, plus lots of petcos and petsmarts. I've only purchased from the chains 3 times (emergency purchases)and I was totally shocked at how expensive they were. And I was surprised that they didn't have as big of a selection of high end dog food.

Hopefully for those of you who are losing your independent stores, you can still purchase what you need and not have to go the big box stores.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:37am PST 
We have 2 petco stores in our town within a mile of each other. They bought out our local superpetz. Now I order the animals food online (wag.com). Not only is it cheaper online but they have the formulas we need and it only takes one day shipping which is free anyway. Petco is usually sold out of the one kibble we buy and doesn't even have the other one. It's horrible. The superpetz we had was nice with a good selection. The petco they have there now is like a mini store. They have a fake wall down the middle of it. Almost like they just bought the place to make sure they'd have no competition. It's like a cheap little afterthought taking up space.
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 9:24pm PST 
Uggghhhh!!!! I cannot even stand to walk into a Petco oh and definately not a Petsmart, they are the worst! The one thing I dislike the most is that most of the people that work there have no clue about proper food, training and definately not health.
I have witnessed one petco employee telling a customer that it is absolutely ok to use Hartz dog flea products on cats, AGGGGG!!! I instantly stepped in and told the customer "and you will be seeing us at the Vet within an hour as your cat will be seizuring", I was floored.
I really hope that Acana/Origen does not consider distributing through Petco as I have noticed any product that eventually sells through petco (food wise) the quality dips way down. So sad.
I hope you can find another shop to buy Orijen, call Orijen and ask where to pick it up closer to where you live, I am sure they can help.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:23pm PST 
The only chain pet store I usually go to is Pet Supplies plus, they have many of the higher quality brands including Orijen and Natures Variety, and carry Instinct raw.
I try to go to non chain stores when I can but around here a lot of them are much more expensive for the same foods unfortunately.
[notify]
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:35am PST 
I have to say, I really like the people that work in our Petco, especially their trainer. All the sells people know their stuff. Any question I had about guinea pig, they knew, any questions about dog training, they help. Our does carry the raw medallions. So it isn't all Petco's. Hoss is welcome in the store and they let us walk around while we were doing our training on socialization.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:43am PST 
I would appreciate it if you all would not make sure broad generalizations about Petco employees.

I've worked at my store for 2 years. I'm the dog trainer and one of the groomers and I do my utmost to provide good information to the people that come into our store. Yes, I'm well aware that there are uninformed/uneducated employees at these stores who really are just trying to earn a paycheck but many of us are not. I care a lot about the well being of the animals I interact with and, honestly, would not recommend many of the products we carry. We are getting more and more good stuff though. Many of the stores now carry Nature's Variety raw (not ours though - boo!) and FreshPet.

Also, there used to be a Superpetz a couple miles down the road from our store and it was a miserable place to be. It stank, was full of sick animals and I remember frequently seeing groups of kittens being kept in bird cages. I'm not the type of person that says "Petco is the best and everyone else is terrible!" just because I work there, but this particular Superpetz was really run down and not a pleasant place to shop. But they did have a better selection of food than us, that's for sure!

I know I'm being overly sensitive about this, but please don't assume that because you had bad experiences with employees before that we're all brain-dead high school drop outs.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 12:43pm PST 
ValuePetSupplies.com has some good deals and Dog.com has Stella and Chewys. But I hate the service in Petco and PetSmart, staff always seems to be young kids who can't really answer any questions. An independent store gets to know you and you really get personal service
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 4:12pm PST 
I do not like my local petco either. It is dark and dirty, and on more then one time, i have found outdated food on the shelf.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2