GO!

Allergic to chicken=allergic to turkey?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 1:23pm PST 
Shadow has an allergy to chicken and eggs. I wanted to add The Honest Kitchen's Keen into the rotation diet I feed. Since he is allergic to chicken will he also react to turkey?

ETA: My vet said to stay away from all poultry but she also wanted to put him on a prescription allergy food, which contained chicken.

Edited by author Mon Apr 11, '11 1:32pm PST

[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 1:58pm PST 
Depends on the animal. We have some intolerant of chicken, but okay with turkey, and others who cannot do anything with feathers whatsoever.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:42pm PST 
human evidence of cross reactivity

They have found evidence that the proteins found in chicken, duck, goose and turkey meat can be cross reactive, but not feathers and eggs. feather allergies and egg allergies are reactions to totally different protein. Cross reactivity is tricky. Some evidence does not mean anything concrete, though for very extreme allergy sufferers it is sometimes better safe than sorry

This report also says that chicken meat allergies is an adult onset allergy for humans. As far as the dogs that have barked about it around here, I gather that it is an adult onset for dogs too. it's easier to talk about human allergies, as they are better documented. I think that though dogs have different symptoms, the inappropriate histamine response works pretty much the same way, otherwise antihistimines like benadryl wouldn't work for them.

Edited by author Mon Apr 11, '11 10:44pm PST

[notify]

Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 12:14am PST 
probably rico has an allergy to chicken based kibbles he also has an allergy to duck based kibbles. so i just stay away from poultry based kibbles he is on a bison based diet now.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 2:40am PST 
Good to know. I'm definitely not going to chance it then.
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 5:32am PST 
Winnie has allergies to chicken (adult-onset) and even though she rarely, rarely had turkey, she is allergic to that as well.

Haven't tried goose yet, but we have done some duck, and so far there's been no reaction to the duck.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 5:53am PST 
It entirely depends on which proteins are giving him a problem. Have you or your vet actually done an elimination diet. it may not be an allergy to protein but, a reaction to chemicals in processed dog food.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 8:02am PST 
Kit has a chicken allergy - it was not adult onset, he's had it as long as I've had him. We got him when he was only 9 weeks old.

In his case, his allergy is pretty severe (IE potentially fatal) so we've decided to stay away from all poultry, just to be safe.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 10:37am PST 
Halo- He suddenly developed the chicken allergy a couple of months back. He got insanely bad ear infections that wouldn't go away. They finally went away after a couple of weeks of being on Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato recipe. We figured out the egg allergy without meaning to. He had a chronic cough when I first got him. He was on Iams but switched to Wellness when he got sick off of Iams (vomiting/diarrhea). His cough completely stopped until I mixed EVO into his food. The only thing in Iams and EVO that matched was eggs.
[notify]