GO!

Dog Treats made in Canada or USA

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lilith

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:07pm PST 
I'm on a mission to find dog treats made and packaged in either Canada or USA. If its USA made and packaged has to be able to be shipped to Canada.

I'm so darn frustrated trying to find dog treats. With Lilith being in classes its gotten harder and harder to find the right treat. Ive tried cookies- too crumbly, Ive tried cheese- melts in my hand, Ive tried a jerky treat that I THOUGHT was made in Canada, but was actually from China- made Lilith have bloody diarrhea, then today I picked up a bag of Duck Jerky treats that said inspected by Canada labs- ingredients said Duck Fillet, only to find out its made in China and the treats are treated by irradiation. So we are returning those tonight.

I just want a dog treat that is easy to give during training, healthy, made and packaged in USA or Canada and I'd love to find a jerky type treat.
Petsmart has a crappy selection and the dog treats at the training facility have poor ingredients (trying to find Grain-free treats). I haven't checked Petland, but I try to avoid that place as much as possible.

If anyone can help me find a GOOD dog treat for training I would be eternally grateful!!! Heck I'd even be willing to bake or cook my own treats if anyone has a recipe lol
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:14pm PST 
Zukes are an awesome option, though they do have grain in them (brown rice). Still though, I've used them for a while now, and they're small, very soft, and the dogs love them. Made in the USA.

I've tried the Natural Balance training treats as well, also with grain (brown rice), a little larger, but still soft and easy to break apart and the dogs also really seemed to like them. Also made in the USA.

I got a couple pouches of the Blue Bites treats from BB, same as before, brown rice, but small and the dogs like them, and made in the USA.

As for grain free treats, have you tried any of those dehydrated liver ones? Purebites I think they're called? They also have cheese and some other stuff. Note sure where they're made, but might be worth a look.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:16pm PST 
I honestly just use dog food. I pick up samples at the pet stores when I see them and emailed some companies asking to try their food and most are usually pretty good about sending samples. I also got some off of k9cusine.com(free shipping code "FREE" good until 12-31 so you can get 10 samples for free.

You can also use Zukes. They are all natural and are made in the US. I use the mini naturals as they are the perfect size for training. If you have a Complete Petmart near you they are buy one get one free right now. My dogs love these and they must smell good because they've got a few brand new bags and pulled them apart and ate all the treats.

If you go to Bestbullysticks.com they have a section that's just all Made in the USA products.

Edited by author Wed Dec 22, '10 3:18pm PST

[notify]

Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:18pm PST 
I find heart is an inexpensive, healthy, not too messy treat. Just sear it on both sides in the pan... no oil or butter or anything.
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:20pm PST 
Wellness, Real Meat, Paws Gourmet, and I'm pretty sure Grandma Lucy's. And Zukes, of course.
[notify]
Lilith

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:33pm PST 
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!

Laila, I could not cook hearts, I can't even touch the gizzards that you take out of a turkey before you cook it lol. But thank you kindly for the suggestion big grin

Shadow, at home I do just use her dog food, but in Class shes NEEDS a higher quality super tasty treat because she gets distracted.

Ive never seen BB or Natural balance treats in Petsmart before, maybe I just missed them. We do have some local dog food shops like Global Pet foods, I'll check those to see if they have the treats you guys suggested.

I'm just so tired of sneaky labeling. The ones I got said packaged in Canada and in VERY tiny letters said made in china that I never noticed til Lilith got an upset stomach. I NEVER if I can help it buy things from China especially dog treats or food. Just way too many issues. I hope I can find the treats you guys suggested. We have Class tonight at 7pm, but I'm just going to bring her dog food for this one. I'm also thinking about buying a treat pouch so I don't have to hold it in my hand all the time. So gross at the end of class my hands reek of dog treats lol.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:39pm PST 
Why only Canada or USA (curious?)

If New Zealand is OK you can always do Ziwipeak smile
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:53pm PST 
I read about a good trick for cheese- Buy a stong flavored cheese and cut into training sized treats, then place them in an open container so they are exposed to air and put it in the fridge for a few days and let them dry out. They will be more like a semi-moist treat and won't get gooey.

Edited by author Wed Dec 22, '10 3:59pm PST

[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 4:02pm PST 
With a treat bag you can use cheese, hot dogs, cooked chicken or any other meat. A cheap thing to get is the half aprons from home improvement stores. I also like them because there are two pockets-easy to separate two types of treats.

Also good so she doesn't start focusing on your hands instead of you.

I like Zukes Salmon. Super smelly-even Bella likes them (and she doesn't normally like many treats). There is some rice in them though.
[notify]
Lilith

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 7:38pm PST 
Thanks everyone smile

Lilith- I prefer USA or Canada (well prefer Canada over USA even) because I feel its safer than things outside of the two countries. Obviously Canada and USA can have bad ingredients in treats, but I know they are safe for the most part. I also prefer Canada over the USA because we have very high standards here. smile

Edited to Add- Lilith I just looked at the last treats I tried (forgot to include in my OP) and didn't like and they were ZiwiPeak- Lamb Recipe. They were too messy and my hands stunk horribly lol

Nicky, I did do that with the cheese, but when you hold it in your hand it melts still smile

B&D I am going to pick up a treat bag. And your right I do not want her focusing on my hands. Which I noticed tonight HAS become a small issue. So bag it is!

At class tonight they had some new treats in. They are dried beef Liver treats made in Canada. They are called Benny Bully's Liver Chops. So I bought a bag and she loved them. They aren't crumbly like a cookie but break apart easy. I am still going to pick up a treat bag though, because like I said I noticed tonight in class she is focusing too much on my hands. I mean she will stare at my hands for a bit, but she knows eye contact is what will get her the treat in the end.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! big grin

Edited by author Wed Dec 22, '10 7:41pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3