GO!

Primal Pet Foods Raw Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Gage

Just Your- Average Mutt

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 12:17am PST 
I'm trying to switch my dogs over to a raw diet and need to know if Primal Pet is a good brand to feed. They are currently eating Science Diet and are shedding way too much. I've been doing some research and hear that it is a terrible food, so I want to go raw, but not whole actual chunks of meat. I'm a vegetarian and I can't stand touching meat. I would be fine with the food that doesn't look like dead animals though. laugh out loud So, is Primal good or not? I was looking at Nature's Variety, but I think Primal Pet has better ingredients, even though it is more expensive.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 8:04am PST 
Primal is a good brand Nature's variety is OK, but they had some recalls on their chicken and their rabbits come from China they also denture their meat I think I spelled it right..

I know a few who fed primal I feed prey modal raw, but I wouldn't mind getting it for times when my family needs to feed Saya..

I know there's a few vegetarians who feed raw premade and some who feed prey modal.

The raw food diet forum might get more responses on this..

Primal is a good choice maybe later you could get a meat grinder and make your own grinds? Will be cheaper I think since chicken can go on sale for decent prices depends where you live..
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 5:53pm PST 
I like Primal. However, I am careful to track their ingredients and mix and match to make my own more prey-model diet. I think many of the complete Primal diets have too much produce for a canine (up to 40%), but they have plenty of products that allow you to balance it out with more meat.

My guys LOVE the sardine grind!
[notify]

Khloe

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:29pm PST 
My dog did really well on primal for a while... I was supplementing with Tucker's raw bones for her teeth but she would just eat the marrow out of 'em. Anyhow her vet told me only freeze-dried raw. Since I am far from a virtuoso making her a full balanced diet (I know Primal is one). This was my first foray into raw. I tried the Instinct and she did not like it at all. I spoke to the company about how they sterilized it, but the meat sources I always have to question. Dog food is a tough nut to break, thank heavens for forums like this where people are passionate about the quality of life of their pets! (Currently, I am going with baked dog food which she really enjoys) Feel like I never did conquer the raw world! blue dog

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 12:30pm PST

[notify]