GO!

Raw beef bones from the grocery store meat department

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

♥Moll- y♥

Loyal- Sweetheart!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 10:44pm PST 
I really want to give Molly and Babe raw beef bones from the grocery store. However, I'm apprehensive about it because we used to give our Samoyed, Ally, these (she got one every time we went grocery shopping) After a few years, she started to get extremely aggressive and tried to bite people every time she had one (food aggression?) I'm not sure if the bones are linked to that or if it was just her breed and age. I don't want Molly or Babe to turn aggressive, if the bones happened to be the thing that turned Ally aggressive. Ally was NOT aggressive with her kibble dog food, she was only aggressive with the bones.

Can anybody tell me what may have triggered Ally's aggression and if it would be OK to give Molly and Babe raw beef bones from the grocery store or will they get aggressive too?

Thanks!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 10:50pm PST 
Resource guarding is something you can manage with correct training. It's not because it's raw beef bones or now, it's because the dog finds whatever item high value.

As for whether it's OK - I wouldn't. The beef bones sold at the supermarkets here have very little meat on it and the bones are usually cut in a very blunt fashion. I would be afraid of my dogs chipping their teeth on it.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 7:05am PST 
What Lilith said!!
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 7:25am PST 
I manage bones. Once the dogs are finished with any chewie I pick it up. They don't guard them from me but each other and I cannot stand the dogs bickering. Horrible scary sounding that is.

Agree with the others, train the dogs to trade for the bones, never ever grab one away especially if there is growling or posturing and don't buy the short round ones cut at both ends. I buy the BBQ beef ribs and cut the bone off the spine end as it comes off and could be a choking hazard. I could save the partly chewed clean bone in the frig for another day but once bare they are in the trash.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 7:32am PST 
We are actually lucky that we can offer soup bones (short round) as a snack. Because my dogs daintily chew the scraps off them and lick out the marrow and then use them as toys w/o chewing.

After a day or so, I take them and toss them.

I make sure they are too big to swallow or attempt to swallow and let them enjoy. And as far as resource guarding it is because the bone is such a high value item, as others have said. Good behaviour with these treats can be taught, as with any other.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 4:54pm PST 
Savvy - Keep in mind that marrow is super fatty and caloricly dense. Those on diets should try to avoid! Cara use to get them often but once stopped she actually dropped 5 lbs!!

Sorry in advance if I just ruined all of Savvy's funwink Please don't tell her it was me who told you!
[notify]
♥Moll- y♥

Loyal- Sweetheart!

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 11:44pm PST 
Okay, good to know. We won't be giving them those kind of bones. Thanks for the information! smile
[notify]