GO!

Milk Bone treats...contacted Del Monte

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 12:11am PST 
Just wanted to share a "consumer response" I got when our Cindy had sent an inquiry to Milk Bone about where there dog treats are made...specifically, Milk Bpone Original dog treats. We got some as a present and me n' Barney love them...but Cindy got to reading labels and ingredients and then she actually sent a question to them about where their stuff is made...they did respond to her in less than 24 hours...Cindy really doesn't like stuff on labels like "manufactured for" or "distributed by..." that's why she emailed Del Monte....

October 19, 2010

Dear Cindy,

Thank you for your interest in Milk-Bone Original Dog Treats. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your e-mail.

The majority of Del Monte Pet Products are produced in the United States, primarily from U.S. ingredients. Milk-Bone Original Dog Treats are made in Buffalo, New York.

It may be helpful for you to know that Federal regulations require a product to list the country of origin if it has been produced outside of the United States or one of its territories. So if one of our products does not specifically state the country of origin, then you can assume it was produced in the United States or a U.S. territory. Regardless of the country of origin, please know that Del Monte Foods' strict U.S. quality and operations standards apply to all of our products.

I appreciate the opportunity to respond and hope this information is helpful.

Jared, Del Monte Foods Consumer Affairs

Cindy says she still sn't sure she wants me n' Barney to have the treats we got as a present but she wanted to post the response for other dogster folks to be able to read.
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 5:54am PST 
I would not feed them. Even if manifactured in the US, I don't buy the "strict guidelines" thing. seeing the ingredients, they obviously do not care about our pets.

do you know you can, at home, make healthy treats with human grade ingredients for really cheap?
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 6:48am PST 
I used to give these to my pets. I don't anymore. There are quite a few tasty and healthy treats out there, or you could try raw chicken feet which all pups (raw eaters and otherwise) seem to find truly delish!
[notify]

Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 7:08am PST 
*GASP* Del Monte owns Milk Bone?!shock I sure didn't know that but I did wonder who makes those
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 1:32pm PST 
Yup...Cindy said she was a little surprised at how "big" Del Monte was into the pet treat and pet food thing. She still doesn't like the ingredients even though they are "U.S. made." She said she did get some good info from the response about label-reading though...and she said she learned way too much (BOL) after reading dozens and dozens of different dog product labels for the "manufactured by," "manufactured for" and "distributed by..."

By the way,there's some dog treats out there that are pretty clever at making "made in China" kinda hard to find on the bag/box...

Cindy's reading recipes for home made dog treats and some of them sound way yummy! Me n' Barney are gonna be gourmet hounds! Homemade dog cookies....yummy yummy yummy snoopy
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 3:03pm PST 
Ellie, let me share with you a secret: my mom's favorite, most easiest dog treats recipe ever.

First you get some dehydrated liver. Put it in a plastic baggie that closes nice and tight.

Then you get a hammer and hammer the liver into little pieces (liver is very good at this - beef lung is okay, but less good, and the dehydrated beef she got was too meaty and stuck together too much).

Easy as pie. Only better for dogs!

Your friend in fluffiness,

Mississippi
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 5:02pm PST 
There are so many better treats that are just as much and my guys love them even more. I'll never forget when my chowhounds Riley and Flynn got a milkbone at the vet, the chewed for a second and promptly spit it out big grin Quincy doesn't taste the food he eats so I can't say the same for him, but anyways, lots of much better treats out there. Big Lots is great for finding holistic treats for pretty cheap, usually $2.50 a box. They have Cloud Star Muttos and Trail Hound treats, great stuff, as well as a few others. Once you know how to read the label it'll broaden you up from just a certain brand, etc. Treats are a fun way to try some new things and flavors. I just got some of the new Natural Balance "Healthy Bones" biscuits that just came out. I got lamb/quinoa/carrots and trout/wild rice/spinich, talk about unique combos for dog treats, and they are a big hit way to go
[notify]
Drover- Deputy Of- Security

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 5:10pm PST 
i usually make my own dog treats. They are really easy to make, and don't take too long! I basically just use a meat source (drovers current treats are salmon) and mix it with flour until it has the consistency of dough. I then cut them into pieces and stick em in the oven until they are dry and hard. They surprisingly last a while, but I don't use them if they are over a month old.I agree with the others, i don't think you should feed milk bones. If you have ever looked at the ingredients, they are pretty bad. Hope I helped!

Edited by author Wed Oct 20, '10 5:11pm PST

[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 6:44pm PST 
I think they honestly feel that the ingredients are acceptable. I'm not against big name companies at all, but I will say that they tend to offer a variety of stuff and so they end up making products for things they know little to nothing about--like pet food and treats--and that can cause them to screw things up.
I'm sure they try to get some info from whatever authorities/experts are considered gold standard at the time since they probably do not have the time to research it themselves. But what happens when the gold standard is wrong?

That said, both big companies and little companies have their pros and cons.

Edited by author Wed Oct 20, '10 6:51pm PST

[notify]
Cody

Not as tough as- I look

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 7:47pm PST 
I don't buy milk bones (we have the cloudstar biscuit treats) but my grandma bought a box for her house that she gives to the dogs when they come to visit. The ingredients aren't the best, but it's not their main diet, or even a frequent treat.

My grandma is always so excited to see the dogs, and really enjoys spending time with them. She feels like she's bonding with them and making us feel welcome by offering the dogs a treat when they come, so if that means they happen to have a milk bone or two every few weeks, I don't really mind. Plus, she does try really hard to find the best things she can for the dogs - and without going out of town, milk bones are about the best you can do around here. When she has healthier home prepared food they can eat, she gives them that instead. way to go

Cody loves grandma's house because one time he was there all by himself, and my grandma let him be the official "taste-tester" for the meat she was cooking. laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2