GO!

Is milk bad for dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 4:43pm PST 
Like just regular milk not soy, almond, or anything like that. Just cow's milk.wink
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 4:58pm PST 
In small quantities, it is fine for most dogs. I've given it as an occasional treat - probably like 1/8 cup, just enough to fill the bottom of her food bowl. In larger amounts, it can cause gas and diarrhea for some dogs. When I was a kid we had a dog who used to clear out the cat's milk bowl with no digestive issues (I don't know why we gave the cat milk, lol) ... but there's no reason to give milk any more often than an occasional treat. Now yogurt, on the other hand - that has beneficial probiotic properties, so I make that a more frequent part of Hazel's diet.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 5:02pm PST 
Humans are the only animals who continue to drink milk beyond infancy, so other animal's systems, including dogs, aren't really made to digest dairy once they are beyond weaning. Of course some dogs can tolerate occasional dairy in small amounts. So, it's not bad but they're just not made to digest lactose.

Edited by author Sun Oct 10, '10 5:03pm PST

[notify]

Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 5:19pm PST 
thanks yeah I gave pepsie barely any milk and she drank it up(she can tolerate lactose and dairys because she eats stuff with milk in it like yogurt just fine and this is only a small treat) but next time I am considering buying this cat milk called Catsip and it says on the box that dogs love it too and it's a milk that cats and dogs can tolerate
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 5:20pm PST 
also, can dogs eat soymilk just fine?
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 5:25pm PST 
^
^
^
uh nevermind about that question because I know that some dogs are allergic to soy and I don't wanna take the chance...
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 5:40pm PST 
Yogurt is okay because the bacteria cultures help metabolize the lactose. (I think lactose intolerance is the reason dogs get digestive upset from milk, like some people.) I use it regularly as a Kong stuffing, and some Dogsters use it as a topper on dry food.
The cat milk you are mentioning is probably no different than Lactaid brand milk you can find at the grocery store. Check the ingredients, I bet it's just milk with lactase enzyme added.
But, there is no added nutritional benefit to making this a big part of your dog's diet. So if Pepsie enjoys a wee bit of milk every once in awhile, you can just stick with regular milk if it causes her no digestive upset.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 5:41pm PST 
smile some dog can probably drink soy milk just fine. smile

You've raised an interesting question though, what about products like lactose-free milk? Again, it doesn't really have any benefit for them, so it really doesn't matter I suppose. I drink unsweetened almond milk (it's not as bad as it sounds, I actually prefer it dairy milk) so it's not an option to share with my pups. I do give them an all-natural organic plain yogurt (I prefer the greek style which has a lot less sugar, but it's expensive for me on my current budget) on a daily basis, and it works great, and sometimes cottage cheese, but that's the only dairy my pups get.
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 5:57pm PST 
Hazel- when you mean to "stick" with regular milk do you mean she can have it everyday or just a treat? Also, if she doesn't react ot yogurt and cottage cheese, she's not lactose intolerant right?(I hope not!)
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 6:15pm PST 
I mean she can have a tiny bit of regular milk - maybe a few tablespoons per day. That's if she has no signs of gas, stomach rumblings, or loose stools. If you intend to feed more milk, then you may have to use Catsip or Lactaid. But anyway, the point of a treat is to give it only occasionally so it's really special when the dog gets it!
Being able to tolerate yogurt tells you little about whether Pepsie can tolerate milk. Milk contains lactose, a type of sugar. When the dog eats milk but can't digest lactose, it gets stomach issues. Yogurt contains live bacteria, which digest the lactose so the animal doesn't have to. Cottage cheese, as well as any cheese, is made with bacteria which metabolize at least some of the lactose, so there is less lactose in these cheeses than there is in milk.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2