GO!

Can dogs eat tuna?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 4:37pm PST 
So, sometimes when I make my lunch with tuna, I give Pepsie the empty can(there is barely any tuna in there) so she can lick it clean. We have been doing this for a while, Pepsie hasn't had any issues with it but I just wanted to know if tuna was okay for dogs puppy

Edited by author Sun Aug 22, '10 4:44pm PST

[notify]
Riley Star

The Life Of- Riley

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 4:40pm PST 
Riley loves tuna, in fact there are some canned foods with tuna in it for dogs.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 4:44pm PST 
I usually just get the canned salmon or sardines as toppers.
[notify]

Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 4:51pm PST 
You know, now that I think about it, I haven't given Pepsie any other type of fish, but her dog food contains salmon so I guess she does eat salmon.

Edited by author Sun Aug 22, '10 5:02pm PST

[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 4:56pm PST 
Yeah I add to Brodie's NB food bc it's low in protein.

It's great if u can find low sodium kind too.

-Allee, Bama, and Brodie
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 5:00pm PST 
how low in protein is your dog food? I didn't know fish could be added to your dog's food to add extra protein
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 5:07pm PST 
Do you think tuna would improve a dog's coat?
[notify]
Montana

Mexican- Mutt-a-roonie

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 5:35pm PST 
Fish, including tuna is a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which is good for the skin and fur of your dog!
Be careful on the intake of tuna though, it does contain traces of mercury that could be harmful if ingested too often.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 5:47pm PST 
Yes, in very small quantities occasionally like you're doing is perfectly safe. People are only supposed to have 6oz max per week due to mercury.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 5:48pm PST 
In a word, no! Go to Gotmercury.org

I put Pepsie's weight at 7 pounds (?) and his intake at 1 ounce - only about a sixth of a can. That tiny amount had 150% - in other words one and half times - the maximum allowed mercury for a week for him.

Mercury is very toxic. have you seen the directions of what to do if a fluorescent light bulb breaks??

If you want the benefits of fish for your dog, use salmon, mackeral or sardines.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2