GO!

Do Certain Foods Cause Yeast Ear Infections?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Wed Aug 11, '10 1:36pm PST 
Gunner has been shaking and itching his ears for about a week. I cleaned his ears last week and he had a ton of dark brown wax and debris in his ears. Yesterday I cleaned them out and there was hardly anything. Today I took him to the vet and we found out he has a very mild ear infection. Dr said that there wasn't any debris or wax in his ears but they were inflamed and red.

Gunner eats Wellness Lamb, Barley & Salmon recipe with cooked chicken breasts and chicken livers as a topping. I've only noticed within the last couple months that he's been having issues with his ears. Could this food be causing a build-up of yeast in his ears?

Here are the food's ingredients:

Lamb, Menhaden Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rye Flour, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Rice Bran, Tomatoes, Ground Millet, Natural Lamb Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation products.

I am very wary of trying a grain free food because Gunner did so horrible on Orijen. We bought a 5lb bag that lasts us a little under 2 months and it was diarrhea the entire time frown We tried the fish based Wellness Core but Gunner hated it.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Wed Aug 11, '10 4:16pm PST 
Those are good indredients. I would think the foods that would do that more are the ones full of wheat and brewer's yeast and things like that. And, other things that yeast thrives on.

Brodie does do best on grain free though. He doesn't do well with rice.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Wed Aug 11, '10 4:42pm PST 
might be worth having him allergy tested. Dogs can develop allergies to certain foods, just like people can. he may be allergic to all things chicken, or soy, or something else.
[notify]

Lia

Lia Bia Teddy- Bear

Barked: Thu Aug 12, '10 9:18am PST 
Gunner can I ask if the vet gave you anything for his ears? Lia is having the same problem and I'm debating on whether or not to take her in. It's only been going on a few days and money is extremely tight right now!

I also wondered whether or not it could be her food because we did change foods last week. I'm feeding her Nutri Source Adult Chx & Rice. Which I know is not the best food but my dogs are on a rotation so they will get a different brand after this bag. They LOVE this food though, just wish it was a better quality.

Ahh, just looked up this food on dogfoodanalysis.com, I didn't realize it had beet pulp AND brewer's yeast! I also had no idea that beet pulp commonly causes ear infections!! Did anyone else know that? Wow I wonder if this IS the problem? Chloe has been eating it too and her ears are as clean as can be! shrugeek
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Thu Aug 12, '10 4:53pm PST 
Yep, some dogs just don't do good at all with ingred like that.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Aug 12, '10 9:44pm PST 
Hi Lia wave Our vet prescribed us a remicin ear ointment and a over the counter Glenhaven ear wash. The medicines smell TERRIBLE frown and poor Gunner has to have his ears washed once a day and the ointment twice a day, he is hating it.
[notify]