GO!

Are Rawhide Chips & Bones Bad for Dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Yoopie- (U.P.)

Cutest Ugly- Puppy Ever

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 11:41am PST 
Ok, so both of my sweet boys are incredibly powerful chewers; door jambs, wooden trim, the couch, the side tables, entertainment center, the bark from trees and even brick siding has fallen victim to their obsessive need to gnaw. It was a lot worse when they were teething (that's when the brick siding suffered), so now it's mostly a busy thing.

I've heard that rawhide chips and knotted rawhide bones are bad for pups. Is this true? And if it is, does anyone have suggestions on alternates for these chewers? They have to have something, otherwise I might not have any siding left at all!

I'm wary about raw bones because we had an aussie that had an intestinal blockage from eating a beef bone left over from slaughter, but I've seen a lot of sites advocating them.

Any suggestions are welcome smile
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 12:08pm PST 
I don't give them to my dogs. Too many stories about impactions, perforations and busted teeth for my comfort...not to mention the slime they leave on the floor and the stink most of them leave on everything smile

That said, have you ever considered WHY they chew so much? Not meaning to offend at all but it sounds like they're desperately looking for something to occupy their minds and bodies. Not that some dogs aren't just more naturally inclined to chew than others...because some are, but for you to have ended up with two dogs that continue to be prolific chewers despite being over the puppy teething stage is odd thinking

How much exercise do they get a day? How often are they left alone? What sort of training have you done with them? Do you offer any problem solving sorts of toys?
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 12:18pm PST 
I wouldn't feed rawhides. They are difficult to digest, can cause blockages/choking, and the ingredients tend to be iffy. You could try bully sticks, beef trachea, or antler chews. You can order them from bestbullysticks.com and they are also available at some pet stores. These chews are natural, much easier to digest, and depending on the dog, can last quite a while. Raw Meaty Bones are good options as well, but you have to make sure there is lots of meat left on them, and that you supervise constantly. When the dog starts trying to eat the bone you must take them away to avoid tooth chipping. I feed raw, and my pups love venison meaty bones as an occasional meal, but I supervise them the entire time they are eating.
[notify]

Sabre

All the snow- belongs to me...

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 12:34pm PST 
Sabre definitely had a blockage due to rawhide. One day he threw up both of his meals of kibble in huge lumps not even digested and the only thing I can think of was the rawhide. I've stopped giving it to him every since.
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 1:15pm PST 
I quit giving them to Zack because they would cut into his gums and make them bleed. And once I found what I think was a tooth chip on the one he was chewing, so that was it for rawhides for us.

Zack really isn't a chewer, so I haven't really looked for anything else. Bianca has several Kong-type toys that she likes to chew on.
[notify]
Yoopie- (U.P.)

Cutest Ugly- Puppy Ever

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 1:18pm PST 
@Trigger: Over the past couple months (8-10 months of age) the amount of chewing has gone down noticeably, but the power of the chewing has gone up. I had an episode with Yoopie after he swallowed half a pork twist so I've had to look for things that wouldn't be easy to get their whole mouths around. So far rawhide has been the only affordable thing I've been able to find, but I recently read that some rawhide is preserved in formaldehyde which of course freaked me out (thus, my post here).

They probably don't get enough exercise red face Dingo can't last our regular two mile walks anymore because of his hips, so it's been cut to two half mile walks a day. We do tennis ball fetch and laser light chase in the back yard which is easier on him. I'm still trying out toys (Kong wobbler, Everlasting Treat Balls, puzzle cubes) to find which ones are to their liking. Dingo's a high energy guy so he's probably bored, thus his tendency to chew everything. I think Yoopie just kind of goes along with it when Dingo starts it up.

I've never heard of antler chews; I'll have to look into those. I've seen bully sticks, but I wasn't sure how long they'd last under the power of my pups smile

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 1:21pm PST

[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 4:40pm PST 
I think some dogs are fine with rawhide. My doxie and scottie do ok with it though I rarely buy it. And, when I do it's just those little thin twisted rawhide chews.
That being said...bulldogs DO NOT need rawhide ever. They will chew it til it's soggy and then try and swallow it whole. Brodie's breeder told me that and I didn't believe it but I found it out for myself! He almost choked on a big piece several times so I don't buy it now.

Another thing I will NEVER give again are cow/pig hooves. I used to keep the dogs all one, since they were 99cents each. But, Bama ended up fracturing two back teeth and Allee fractured one from chewing on them. The vet is 99percent sure that's what caused it since they are so hard.

Now we stick to toys mainly. I use nylabone and hartz dental chews, some are hard but none as hard as the hooves and I think w/the hooves they were obsessed with them and would chew too hard and too long on them.
[notify]
Yoopie- (U.P.)

Cutest Ugly- Puppy Ever

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 5:16pm PST 
Dingo tries to swallow them whole, as well. In fact I just watched him cough a chip up, so I took it away from him. I usually reserve the chips for Yoopie, who gnaws from the side, and the bones for Dingo, since he will hold the chip in his mouth to soften it, then try to swallow it whole.

I'm going to the store tomorrow for new food, so I'll look into the bully sticks and order the antlers online. Except a huge rawhide bone one of our friends bought for Dingo, we're all out of rawhide stuff and I won't be buying any more of it.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 5:20pm PST 
I stopped giving Nicky rawhides because it cuts his gums up. I'm using 6" bullysticks now, but they don't last as long I'd like them to. I've heard good things about antlers, though, and may give that a try.

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 5:21pm PST

[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 5:39pm PST 
As a chew toy, many raw meaty bones won't suffice unless your dog is a painfully slow chewer. Charlie tears through RMBs in about 20 seconds, except for one: pig's feet. I LOVE raw pig's feet, they're such a dental and mental workout for Charlie.

Any weight bearing bone of a large animal (cow, deer, and some pig bones) are a no-no for us, cooked OR raw. They are way too hard to chew through and can cause broken teeth and blockages.

As for rawhide, I also steer clear of it. Too many horror stories.

Edit: Charlie is a power-chewer as well. No toy can withstand his bite, he even takes chunks out of the Extreme Kong. I ended up buying him a bunch of elk antlers off ebay, and they are a MIRACLE. I put a bunch of them throughout the house so he never gets bored, and they take weeks and weeks for him to get to a size I feel uncomfortable with (at which point, I toss it).

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 5:41pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3