GO!

What I have learned about having a dog with chronic acid reflux...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Fri Jul 23, '10 4:40pm PST 
Helloswave

I am not a medical professional, but I have learned so much about GERD in dogs that I thought this might be helpful to other dogs. Jasper's reflux is controlled by diet, but it is a chronic condition. We have changed foods so many times because we had no clue we had a dog with reflux until food allergies were ruled out. It is a relief when you finally get a diagnosis.

Please feel free to add info to this list I have created!

1. Kibble/food is most tolerated when it is lower protein/lower fat. Grain inclusive foods and LID foods work well for us.
2. Low fat and limited ingredient biscuits and treats seem to be the most digestible.
3. Tomatoes, acidic things, cheese, spicy things, fatty fish skin and oily table scraps can cause an instant flare up (we can't feed salmon oil at all anymore).
4. For us, a little plain nonfat yogurt/nonfat cottage cheese is a welcome and healthy treat.
5. A biscuit at bedtime keeps acid at bay.
6. A spoonful of canned pumpkin is tasty and seems to help as well.
7. Rotating foods keeps us interested in eating- Eating should be enjoyable and sometimes dogs with reflux forget that because eating can cause pain. We thought we just had a really picky pooch.
8. Let friends/family know your dog can't tolerate oily/fatty table scraps.
9. Feed smaller/frequent meals.
10. Limit playtime after meals (we have had lots of barf accidents after meals).
11. Invest in some Nature's Miracle- We have a gallon! It helps for any vomit accidents and pretty much anything else (we have used it for human potty training!)
12. If it works for you- get a harness vs. a collar. We notice Jasper is much more comfortable now- No gagging/throat discomfort if he is excited on lead.
13. Obviously see a vet and check out medication options.

puppy Jasper
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Fri Jul 23, '10 5:18pm PST 
Cool info!
[notify]
Ty

Barked: Fri Jul 23, '10 5:45pm PST 
I would like to hear more specific information on what you are feeding. This would be good information to know for the future
[notify]

Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 12:34am PST 
Thanks Alle! It has taken us a while to get the right formula, but so worth all the effort!

Ty- We have had success feeding Natural Balance products (kibble, canned and treats). We also seem to do well on Wellness Super5Mix kibble (the protein/fat are lower (except the Small Breed one) and the Wellbars are great snacks. Trader Joe's low fat beef sausages and biscuits are some of Jasper's favorite treats. We have also heard from others that grain inclusive foods are best for absorbing the acid in the tummy. Grain free/high protein combo foods can unfortunately make things really bad for some dogs.

We have heard positive reviews of Sammy's Snacks and Blue Buffalo.

Of course food reactions are specific to each dog, but I think the lower protein/low fat issue is the starting point.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 8:34am PST 
Kudos on mentioning the harness thing. I hadn't thought to mention it before, but we discovered that as well. Tanuk wears a Halti or is just off leash. Our trainer is crazy about the British lead, but keeps forgetting Tanuk can't wear one, and tries it, then he starts hacking up a storm, and bleh.
[notify]
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Mon Jul 26, '10 11:05am PST 
Thanks Tanuk- and thanks for all your sharing, it has helped us a lot!happy dance
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Mon Jul 26, '10 1:43pm PST 
Glad you are finally doing well!

Brodie seems to be doing a lot better by eating twice a day with his digestive issues.
I am feeding Allee and Bama in the morning and evening too now. But, Allee doesn't seem all that thrilled for her morning meal though but far she has ate it all.
[notify]
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Mon Jul 26, '10 9:40pm PST 
Glad to hear you are doing better too!
[notify]