GO!

Intestinal Lymphangiectasia

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Delphi- 12/24/1999 - 06/27/2011

p mailing my- pals

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 11:59am PST 
Delphi has just been diagnosed with this disorder. The vet said she will need a hypoallergenic diet and recommended Purina HA. When I checked the ingredients list I was not impressed. Does anyone else have experience with this disorder? I am researching other HA foods but am not sure at this point if this disorder requires a vegetarian diet. I'll have to ask the vet during our appt. on Monday. Any thoughts?
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 12:13pm PST 
Do they know the underlying cause? I found this:

The first step in treatment is to address the underlying cause. In most cases of lymphangiectasia, the underlying cause involves inflammation and most treatment of lymphangiectasia involves=2 0suppression of inflammation.

Medications such as prednisone, and/or azathioprine are commonly used, especially if inflammatory bowel disease is present.

The second step in treatment is dietary though success has been mixed. Traditionally, rather nasty tasting Medium Chain Triglycerides have been used in lymphangiectasia treatment. Triglycerides (a fancy word for “fats”) are very long molecules. Some are longer than others. The more usual dietary fats are called “Long Chain Triglycerides” and, when absorbed into one’s body, must be repackaged into fat globules called “chylomicra” and are normally absorbed into the lacteals. In lymphangiectasia, we want to reduce the pressure in the lymph vessels. We want less lymph. The idea was that if the patient ate shorter fat chains, the fats could be absorbed right into bloodstream directly and bypass the lymph system altogether. Whether or not this actually happens is still a matter of controversy but the a ddtion of Medium Chain Triglycerides (or “MCT’s”) in conjunction with a low fat diet are common recommendations in the therapy of lymphangiectasia. ****Found in Purina HA****

Other treatments include the use of diuretics (such as furosemide) to help increase urination and ultimately reduce fluid accumulation in the chest or abdomen. Actual tapping of the body cavity and suctioning the fluid affected may be needed periodically.

If the underlying condition is treatable then prognosis for lymphangiectasia is good. It should be understood that lymphangiectasia is unlikely to be cured and at best can be managed. --http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_intestinal_lymphangiectasia.h tml
[notify]
Tucker Max- Small Paws

Tucker Max- Protection- Agency-Pres.

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 12:45pm PST 
Hi Delphiwave
Here are some articles for you to read:
lymphangiectasia

Another one

Even though the ingredients in that food may not be very impressive, if they help you, that is all that is important. I am on a veterinary formula which is less than impressive but I am doing so much better on it. I had constant diarrhea for more than a year since I moved to my furever home. I was on medication (flagyl) all that time and on an Iams Veterinary Formula (Intestinal). The vet just switched me to Hills WD and I am doing fantastic, and I don't need to take the Flagyl anymore dancing I seem to be able to tolerate the introduction of new foods like vegetables that I was never able to eat either. So don't be too worried about the ingredients, just let the soothing formula help your condition.

Listen to Dr. Tucker

hugkissing
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 2:06pm PST 
I agree. Go on the script diet for now and research how to proceed. You can change things around later once things have settled down.
[notify]
Delphi- 12/24/1999 - 06/27/2011

p mailing my- pals

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 3:14pm PST 
wavethanks pupskissing My treatment plan includes antibiotics and steriods to reduce the inflammation and immune response. Hopefully just short term use of meds but we'll have to see how it goes. The change in diet will be forever, but should manage the condition. I've been so careful to feed all my fluffers a quality diet, it just pains me to now have to feed something less.

We'll trust the vet for now and see how it goes.

THanks again and thanks Dr. Tuckie..you sure are cute
Delphired face
[notify]
Milo- Mulholland

To know me is to- love me!

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 11:57am PST 
I didn't like the formulation of Purina HA, either. Especially since my dog has had food allergies all his life and inflammatory bowel disease is likely what caused his PLE.
[notify]