GO!

Wanting ToSwitch to Blue Buffalo or Taste of the Wild

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abby

Born to Love

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 4:45am PST 
I've been reading and researching about all kinds/brands of dogfood the last several days. I have found Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild locally. I have a 13 year old Cairn Terrier and a 7 month old Mixed breed. Neither have any health issues and are not picky eaters. smile. I contacted both companies to see if they send out free samples or coupons. BB said no and TOTW hasn't replied yet. From these two foods, what do you guys recommend? Or any other advice/opinions? I have learned so much from you! Thanks!
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 5:09am PST 
I personally feed Taste of the Wild and have been really happy with it. Taking out a large portion of grains from Quincy's diet really helped him out. There are a few people on this forum that don't like it because it's made by Diamond, a comapny known for recalls, I guess, but I've never had a problem with any of their food. Quincy's doing so well on it why would I switch him off? Not to mention I can't afford other grain-free foods. We recommend TOTW, but Blue Buffalo is also a great brand.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 6:06am PST 
Abby, Blue doesn't do samples, but they will send you a $5 off coupon if you do the online survey. Of the two, Blue Buffalo would be my pick.
[notify]

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 6:32am PST 
Price-wise: Blue runs ~45 for 30lb bag where TotW runs around 40.

Ingredient-wise: Blue - 3 of the first 5 ingredients are usually high quality grains (usually Oatmeal, Barley, rice). Taste - is grain free, but does use fish meal that has a stablizer that is controversial to many.

They really aren't apples to apples. However, they both are highly regarged brands that I'm sure will make your dog happy.

Just remember to blend thier old food with the new food for weeks and gradually make the change.

Good Luck!
[notify]
Michael

Question- everything and- everybody

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 6:53am PST 
I recommended Taste of the Wild until I discovered this and several other sites that state that they use ethoxyquin as a preservative. I use and have recommended Blue Buffalo for two years.

Taste of the Wild Pet Foods
Per Diamond Pet Food (manufacturer) “all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”

truthaboutpetfood.com
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 6:54am PST 
I personally use and recommend TOTW. It has some of the best prices for a grain free kibble... and if the ethoxyquin issue bothers you, you can always feed the Prairie/Wetland formulas (which contain very little fish meal).

As for Diamond, all of the recalls involved foods containing wheat/corn... which TOTW has none of. Just something to keep in mind.
[notify]
Hoover SDIT

you call this- work?!

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 7:56am PST 
I feed both foods, and my boy LOVES them both. Blue turned his life around when we first got him. He had horrible allergies, itchy skin, diarrhea and vomiting. Switched him to Blue and tada! All his problems went away. I think it is a wonderful food, if a bit grain heavy, and I really have a lot of trust in the company.

Juniper also really loves taste of the wild. I think, tastewise, it's probably his favorite of the two. On TOTW, eating the same amount of food, his poops are a LOT smaller, most likely due to TOTW being grain free.

We feed a rotation of the two, and rotate among flavors as well. Good luck to you in finding the perfect food for you pups!
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 9:33am PST 
Michael, I checked out the Truth website, but couldn't find the specific information - do you have a direct link to the actual information? I tried to call Blue Buff and ended up having to leave a message. (My foster eats Blue Buff in rotation, so I need to get to the bottom of this quickly.) Thanks!
[notify]
Hoover SDIT

you call this- work?!

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 9:37am PST 
Tucker I think Michael was referring to the Taste of the Wild being a concern about ethoxyquin. To my knowledge, Blue Buffalo DOES NOT use ethoxyquin in any of their products.
[notify]
Delta Force- CGC RN NA- RL1

Raw Fed and- Happy

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 9:43am PST 
I prefer TOTW. Blue is still a good brand... but they are very grainy for such a high price... I would rather get grain free for the same, or even lower price. Being made by Diamond didn't bother me...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2