GO!

iVet

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 1:27pm PST 
Has anybody ever heard of iVet dog food? My veterinarian recommended it for my dogs and I'm wondering about the quality or if anyone else has tried it before. No criticism please. My vet recomended it and I assume it is good food. Autumn really likes it. I was feeding her Frank's Breeder Line, which is what her breeder fed and recomended, but I think I'm going to continue feeding iVet. In Frank's Breeder Line, the main ingredient in the food was grain anyway.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 1:33pm PST 
The iVet looks a bit grain heavy, but it's not as bad as other prescription brands like SD (at least iVet doesn't use corn, soy or wheat but brewers rice isn't a great ingredient either.). However, I noticed they use Menadione. That is a pretty bad ingredient. Ironic that it's in a veterinary formula. (http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione) Also, is there a specific reason you are on a veterinary food? If your dog has no certain health issues, I don't see the reason for paying for a middle-of-the-road vet food when you can probably get a better, meatier kibble elsewhere for cheaper.

Just a side note- yes, the first ingredient in the iVet is chicken meal, which is good, but it's followed by 3 grains so the meat content is probably pretty questionable, as the grain content could very well outweigh the meat content. A good, meaty kibble should have several named meat sources listed in the first line or so of the ingredient panel.

I just looked at the Frank's breeder line food, and I would definitely choose iVet instead if I had to choose between the two. However, there are better options than both foods out there for a decent price.

Edited by author Sun Dec 13, '09 1:49pm PST

[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 1:47pm PST 
Autumn does have PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy), but other than that, she is healthy. When it gets worse I'm going to have the surgery to correct it, or when I can afford that 4k. The vet just told me that it was the best food for her and I could put all my dogs on it, so I have been switching them over to iVet. In the past I have fed Happydog, and I think Chewy might have liked that one better. But, the first ingredient in that one is corn. Our vet also sells a brand called PHD. I don't know anything about that and have never tried it. I've tried Mighty Dog a while back, but none of the dogs really ate it. The licked it, but pretty much left most of it in the bowl. I tried several varieties, and it was the same thing ever time; a few licks and leave the food. Do you think PHD would be better? It is about double the price of iVet. Or what food do you think would be good? I have four dogs, a Lhasa Apso (who has patellar luxation), Tibetan Terrier (has PRA, but it is very slight. Doesn't affect her at all), Labrador Retriever (hip dysplasia), and a Chinese Crested (also has PRA). They are all pretty young, three years or younger, regular activity.
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 2:01pm PST 
Definitely steer clear of Mighty Dog. Anything by Purina isn't a very good choice. One thing to keep in mind is that vets will often push whichever food they happen to sell in their clinics. The iVet is by no means an awful food, but it isn't that great either and chances are your vet is simply recommending it to you because they have some sort of partnership with the company that makes the food. This relationship is common with many vets and many companies such as Hill's Science Diet and Purina.
The PHD stuff doesn't look too bad but they use whole corn which is more of a filler and is not really necessary in a dog's diet (neither is barley or oats but they tend to be lower glycemic and less of an irritant.)

There are plenty of good quality, meat based (even grain-free) kibbles out there made by great companies. May I highly suggest www.dogfoodanalysis.com
as well as www.dogfoodproject.com.

Also, there's a thread in this forum has been very informative to many people. It's called "so you're confused about dog food" I'll bump it up for you.

Edited by author Sun Dec 13, '09 2:07pm PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Dec 14, '09 12:04am PST 
Not all vets feel the same way about nutrition.

This is my vet's opinion.
http://www.projectspayneuter.com/petowner/petfood.htm

I take my dog to a clinic style vet. They do a lot of charity work and have some of the lowest prices. They are not making the most profits in the area but do the best compassionate veterinary services. I take my dog here because I feel they care about animals more than most vets.
[notify]