GO!

Skinny Great Dane issue...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mingo, CGC

Where's the- ball?

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 12:57pm PST 
My brother has a 10-month old Great Dane. He has had the dog since puppyhood, and has tried several different high quality kibbles. Currently, he's feeding Blue Buffalo. However, he's concerned that his pup's skinnier than he should be. If he feeds more than six cups at one feeding, there are runny poop issues, but my brother thinks the dog should get at least eight cups to gain some weight and fill out a bit. (Note: he knows that great danes are slim, but he (and his vet, from my understanding), thinks his is a little too skinny)).

Is there another food he could try that might put some weight on his dog without leading to the runs?
[notify]
Petey

Petey Pablo the- Little Pan Man

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 1:17pm PST 
Maybe he could try a grain free food like Orijen large breed puppy way to go
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 1:18pm PST 
He could try Orijen Large breed puppy food. It has 450 calories/cup so it's a pretty high-calorie food. It also has appropriate calcium/phosphorous levels for a growing giant breed puppy. It's also grain-free. Since it's quite rich, generally less can be fed.
The feeding instructions say a large breed puppy that will be between 130-175 lbs at adult size, should be fed 5¾-7 cups per DAY between 9 and 14 months old.

Generally speaking, it is easier to gain weight on grain-free foods, as they are higher in calories.

Edited by author Sat Dec 12, '09 1:20pm PST

[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 1:19pm PST 
That would be a better kibble.

He could also try feeding more meals per day. My old dog now needs to eat 3 times a day to keep weight on.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 1:22pm PST 
I agree with trying 3 meals a day. Maybe that will be easier on the dog's system.
[notify]
Isy

Anything if you- just throw the- ball!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 3:53pm PST 
Tell him to give him Satin Balls. It is a raw recipe, but really works. Isy had problems keeping on weight too. Luckily she snapped outa it around 2 yrs old! Here's the recipe:

5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2½ cups raw wheat germ
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly like you would a meatloaf.
Roll into balls no larger than 1 inch diameter.
Divide into at least 6 separate containers or bags. Freeze. Thaw as needed for feeding.

I'm kinda surprised the vet didn't suggest this if the vet thinks he's skinny.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 4:56pm PST 
Could you post a pic of your brother's great dane? I'm not a great dane person, but I know that 10 month old great danes can be pretty leggy and ridiculous looking. Also, at 10 months old, being a giant breed, a little underweight is much better than being even the teensiest overweight. I'm all for vets, but if they are not directly familiar with the breed they are evaluating, they may misspeak about the condition of the dog.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 7:48pm PST 
I was going to say the same, danes are generally lean dogs, but in particular when they go through that ackward adolescent stage.

I once met a girl at a dog park with a 5 month of weimaraner, the dog was really ribby and gaunt looking, but she told me that he ate like 5 cups a day, they eventually fill out.
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 8:24pm PST 
Satin Balls work great!
I agree with Bam-Bam, though.
[notify]
Charley

The pain passes,- but the beauty- remains.

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 6:03am PST 
I agree with Bam on this as well. Danes are notoriously leggy an slender escpecially in their puppy teen years. I keep all my giants on the lean side but have had people tell me they appear slender. I usually just say "uh huh" and continue on my way. There are few people I trust on this judgment call and all are familiar with giant breeds. I am lucky that my vet has thorough knowledge of Danes and Mastiffs as well and he is so happy with their appearance and weight.
So a picture would help with an evaluation. On the flip side Danes can be so picky about food not Charley though she is a piggy wink
Satin balls are a wonderful way to balance out weight issues. Is he on a good probiotic ? Danes can have tummy issues which is why Charley's diet is very bone heavy.
BTW she is ALL legs and very lean. She has a lovely hour glass figure when I look down on her. There are days she is so active I can actually see the weight difference in her so I add more meat. It is a lot of fine tuning with her.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2