GO!

Food choices... Royal Canin, Nutro Ultra, Blue Buffalo???

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Michael

Question- everything and- everybody

Barked: Sat Nov 14, '09 9:13pm PST 
I wouldn't even consider Royal Canin with its corn gluten meal and wheat gluten etc. It is the most over priced low quality food available. I think they spend more on the beautiful packaging with the picture of your dog breed on it than they do on the contents. Its the biggest gimmick around and there is no reason to have a different food for each dog breed.

Nutro Ultra recently revised their formula and what was almost garbage is a fairly decent food, but why pay more for a fairly decent food when you can get Blue Buffalo which is a great food for less money? Nutro is probably the most recalled food on the market. Besides Royal Canin and Nutro (along with Pedigree and Kal Kan) are made by the same company, Mars (yes the candy company).

Between the three, Blue Buffalo wins hands down. Its the only quality food sold at PetSmart. At PetCo you can get Blue Buffalo along with Solid Gold and Wellness which are also good foods. You can also get Blue Buffalo at Tractor Supply.
[notify]
Lita

Barked: Sat Nov 14, '09 9:19pm PST 
wouldnt touch nutro (google the words "Nutro dog food" and you'll see why....and Royal canin is crap. their lately seriously trying to inform people that corn is GREAT! -_- Blue buffalo is really good.
[notify]
Michael

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 8:36am PST 
I wouldn't even consider Royal Canin with its corn gluten meal and wheat gluten etc. It is the most over priced low quality food available. I think they spend more on the beautiful packaging with the picture of your dog breed on it than they do on the contents. Its the biggest gimmick around and there is no reason to have a different food for each dog breed.

Nutro Ultra recently revised their formula and what was almost garbage is a fairly decent food, but why pay more for a fairly decent food when you can get Blue Buffalo which is a great food for less money? Nutro is probably the most recalled food on the market. Besides Royal Canin and Nutro (along with Pedigree and Kal Kan) are made by the same company, Mars (yes the candy company).

Between the three, Blue Buffalo wins hands down. Its the only quality food sold at PetSmart. At PetCo you can get Blue Buffalo along with Solid Gold and Wellness which are also good foods. You can also get Blue Buffalo at Tractor Supply.
[notify]

Sasha

Miss Diva to- you!!

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 9:09am PST 
I have to agree with the others, Blue Buffalo seems like the best out of the 3. When I was choosing food for my puppies, I had it narrowed down to Blue Buffalo & Taste of the Wild Pacific. I ended up going with TOTW because it was grain free & seemed like the best fit for my pups food problems. We have only been using it for a couple days but so far so good.
Good Luck with your searchsnoopy
[notify]
Mr. Kite "Sumo"

being for the- benefit of mr.- kite.

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 9:13am PST 
out of your three choices- definitely blue buffalo.
sumo was on blue buffalo before raw and we had
no problems, and he loved it.
if you can get blue wilderness, that would
be even better.
sumo was on royal canin also when i got him.
his breeder recommended i feed it for at least a year
but i said no way!

Edited by author Sun Nov 15, '09 9:15am PST

[notify]
Meko

~Cutie on Duty!~

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 9:33am PST 
Meko now eats blue buffalo as well. She was on Evo small bites, but she hated it and wouldn't eat. frown We then switched to Blue and she loves it, so that is what we stick to. She does well on it. Solid, no smelly poos. We feed the Blue Buffalo Homestyle cans.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Nov 16, '09 5:15pm PST 
When I adopted my dog I started him on Royal Canin small breed. He needs little kibbles. He did terrible on the food and was extremely gassy. I changed it to chicken soup (flat enough kibbles) and then to EVO small bites. He does good on both of those brands.

I feed Evo mixed with wet food. I use to just feed evo and toast. He would get whole grain toast every morning and would free feed evo. I hate crusts. He eats picky picky and did not like to eat his food all at once. He managed his own weight. That had to change when he moved in with other dogs. I have to mix his food with wet so he will eat it fast, or the other dogs will.

Never tried the other foods listed, but Royal Canin sucks.
[notify]
Daisy

Psychoness is- fun

Barked: Mon Nov 16, '09 6:51pm PST 
based on where you live it can be hard to find some of the dog foods. having worked in a pet store and explored other stores as well. Royal canin sometimes is not stocked in stores but can be special order not too many people buy it. Blue buffalo was also one that we did not stock but a lot of people seem to be feeding it to their pets based on how many people would ask if we stocked it. i would recommend trying it as i have heard good things about it. to correct a earlier made statement about Nutro Ultra being recalled it actually hasn't been recalled it was the Nutro Natural Choice that has been recalled a lot in the last few yrs. You can't find too many flavors or types with the Nutro Ultra. most places only stock small breed weight management senior and adult. I most certainly would start with BB and go from there. it also depends on how much you are willing to spend of your food. Solid Gold and Wellness are top of the line with no fillers but they are really expensive. one bag of solid gold at my store was 60$ i believe it was a 35# bag of food. Wellness is also right up there in high price. you could always try the Raw meat diet as well.
[notify]
Michael

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 8:26pm PST 
Most of Nutro's products are no better than Iams or Science Diet. The ingredient list for Ultra has been improved vastly in their last change and the list is decent; however all of Nutro's products contain menadione. I would not feed my dog anything that contains menadione. If you don't know what that is, google it. Royal Canin is the most overpriced dog food on the market. I think they spend more on the bag than on what is in it. I would choose Blue Buffalo hands down.
[notify]
Stormy

What do you mean- I\'m not a lap- dog?

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 11:02pm PST 
My boyfriend and I had Stormy on Blue Buffalo for about a month and she did great on it. It cleared up her gas, made her coat soft and shiny, and decreased the amount of goo she'd get in the corners of her eyes (she had previously been on Beneful). Since her eye goo didn't go away completely, we switched to Blue Wilderness (Blue's grain free line of food). Stormy has been on it for a few weeks now and she's doing great. Her eye goo has almost completely disappeared and her coat is even softer now than it was on the Blue Buffalo. We've also noticed that her teeth are a lot cleaner than they were when she was on Beneful too. I'd definitely recommend Blue Buffalo or Blue Wilderness. It's just a matter of making sure your dog will eat the Life Source Bits. Stormy gobbles them up just like the regular kibbles, but some dogs aren't real keen on them and pick them out.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5