GO!

Food choices... Royal Canin, Nutro Ultra, Blue Buffalo???

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 12:53am PST 
I'd like to say something about Ultra cuz I'm a really, really finicky eater (drives my Cindy nuts hee hee hee) but I will eat my Nutro dry in my bowl, especially the small breed recipe but I like the Ultra Adult too. I'm not a small dog, but my pack brother Barney is. He munches his dry too....but he's not finicky at all, he's a pound puppy rescue dog and he still thinks anything that's not jail food is a feast. I on the other hand am "Miss Finicky" according to Cindy.

Our pack knows Nutro gets bashed regularly in these forums and I won't attempt to refute other folks' opinions, they are certainly entitled to them. But Ultra hasn't been involved in any recalls recently (like last two years). No Nutro dry dog food's been involved in any recent recalls - despite some of the stories circulating the internet - but there WAS a voluntary recall by Nutro of some of their dry cat food earlier this year.

But bottom line is, read the ingredients for it just like you would any of the other foods you're considering, and use the forums here to find more discussion on ingredients. Most of the major pet food produces have web sites that you can google and you should be able to find ingredient info there if you don't want to walk around reading bags in the pet store. For the Ultra, you can go to:

www.nutroproducts.com

Ingredients, price, and "how easy is it to find" are big considerations. And of course, the doggie's gotta EAT it. Find out from wherever you buy the food you choose what the store return/exchange policy is. You should be able to return for a refund or an exchange any food your doggie just doesn't want to eat.

And sorry to hear about the disappointment with the vet - but you're doing great research now, you'll get it worked out!

dog
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 10:14am PST 
So because there's a McDonald's on every corner in America and I really love their French fries, I should eat that rather than spend the time and effort to go to the grocery store and purchase healthy, nourishing foods for myself?

Sorry, for me, this argument just doesn't hold water. If you shop at Petco, there are several other brands that can be found in neighboring aisles, and at Petsmart, although the choices are admittedly more limited, there is still the Blue Buffalo and Blue Wilderness line.

Yes, palatability is important, but the bottom line is that dogs don't always know what's good for them. Some dogs eat feces. Some dogs consider cat feces coated in cat litter an especial delicacy. A friend's lab used to enjoy chowing down on a six pack of light bulbs if ever he got the opportunity. See my point?

Since my dogs can't drive, can't read labels, and, having no opposable thumbs, can only eat what I provide, I consider that it is MY job to decide what are the healthiest foods I can provide for them, and then provide them, not to look to them to dictate to me what they should eat.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 5:23pm PST 
I feed Nutro Ultra and have no problems. I won a bag of blue buffalo once and only one out of 7 would eat it. My dogs coats lppk great and my 14 year old is just as active as my 2 year old.
[notify]

Dunkin

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 5:24pm PST 
I feed Nutro Ultra and have no problems. I won a bag of blue buffalo once and only one out of 7 would eat it. My dogs coats lppk great and my 14 year old is just as active as my 2 year old.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 5:24pm PST 
[notify]
Buddy

I'll watch that- shake for ya

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 7:55pm PST 
Your right your little mini doxie probably doesn't need really high protein like that. The protein percentage really doesn't have much to do with how palatable the food is. I guess if its high your getting more meat sources, which could influence the yuminess, but not really. I know Taste of the Wild uses several meat sources like all the grain free's but they manage to keep their protein in the 25-33 percent ballpark range. Orijen and Evo are up in the 40' well at least the foods I checked before picking one. I can't remember what the rest of them were, the dogsters use all different sorts they would be of better help.

My dad's doxie is super picky about food too. He has to rotate through grain and no grain because she is that bad. I hope you can find something you like.

If you do choose to go with Blue Buffalo, alteast if your dog doesn't like it, you can return it to Petsmart no questions asked. Same goes for Petco. My dad has returned countless number of bags of food. I have never asked the non chain's like Feed stores if they allow that, or Tractor Supply, etc... Maybe some other dogsters could tell you if you continue to research a food for your pup.
Good Luck, happy eating!!
[notify]
Mr. Kite "Sumo"

being for the- benefit of mr.- kite.

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 4:30pm PST 
blue buffalo is great. sumo eats it and loves it.
he is doing really well on it, and
it IS the best that you can get at petsmart, IMO.

Edited by author Sat Sep 19, '09 4:31pm PST

[notify]
DIESEL

Life is like a- bowl of Frosty- Paws!

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 5:26pm PST 
If you are only going to shop at Petsmart try the Blue Buffalo. Diesel spit out the life bits so I could'nt use it but your dog might like them there are also the wilderness and organic formulas by Blue Buffalo I don't know if they have life bits they will take it back if your dog won't eat it there is also a brand of pet food there at Petsmart that looks really good they don't use ethyoxquin and it's a natural food it's called BY NATURE it has no by products,wheat,corn or soy it has meat as the first ingredient,carrots,cranberries,blueberries,rasberries and sweet potatoes I don't want to make anyone mad but I would not touch Nutro even if it was free they have been involved in too many recalls and pet deaths I would not trust them for other pets sakes I hope they never are involved with recalls or have anything wrong with them again but I just don't trust them.I hope this helps.big grin

Edited by author Sat Sep 19, '09 5:32pm PST

[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 5:42pm PST 
Zoie eats Nutro Ultra Senior and loves it and has no problems with eating it.

I tried her on Blue Buffalo, which is an excellent food also, but it was just too rich, she did not eat the life source bits, she had more poops, and a lot of gas. I switched her back to Ultra and her stomach settled down and her poops were back to normal.

We have never tried Royal Canin so can't really comment on the product. I have looked at it and it seems to be more breed specific.

Compare the prices of puppy food kibble for the three products.
Royal Canin 15 lb. Chicken and rice is $41.99
Blue Buffalo 15 lb. Chicken and rice is $27.99
Nutro Ultra 15lb Chicken, Salmon and Lamb and rice is $29.99

Nutro Ultra has all three proteins, Chicken, Salmon and Lamb in their product which is the cost difference.

Ultra has just been reformulated by Nutro and is very comparable to Blue Buffalo. Ultra is a holistic dog food, which means the ingredients are working together more powerfully than they could individually to help promote whole-dog health. Ultra is wheat, corn and by-product FREE, natural vitamins and mineral, no chemical preservatives. Nutro Ultra has added these new ingredients, Pomegradate, Blueberries, Pumpkin, Spinach, Avocado, Carrots, that go along with the ingredients that have been in the product previously, Cranberry, Pea Protein, Oatmeal, Tomato and of course Chicken, Salmon and Lamb Meal.

The combination of these ingredients deliver a high quality protein, antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, whole grains and healthy oils form a strong immune system, lean muscle mass, healthy skin and coat, heart health, sharp vision, joint health, strong teeth and bones plus much more. For more information on Ultra go to www.nutroproduct.com
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 5:52pm PST 
I would go with Blue Buffalo personally.

Royal canin is expensive for the types of ingridients it has, brewers rice, corn gluten, beet pulp and soy.

Nutro Ultra also contains soy and Vit K.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5