GO!

ZiwiPeak vs. Orijen

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 10:40am PST 
Putting costs aside, what is the better of these two? It makes sense to me reading what ZiwiPeak is, that it's probably better than Orijen/Acana (which is what the dogs are on in terms of breakfast kibble. The two smaller ones are on Acana, couldn't tolerate Orijen's protein levels).

ZiwiPeak seems to pretty much be formulated air-dried meat jerky, whereas Orijen is a premium kibble bound with potato and low-heat processed.

I'm thinking to switch over to Ziwi Peak as their breakfast - is this good/equal/worse than Orijen? What do you dogsters think?

ETA: Does anyone know if Ziwi Peak canned is canned in their own facilities, or...?

Edited by author Fri Aug 14, '09 10:55am PST

[notify]
Petey

Petey Pablo the- Little Pan Man

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 11:21am PST 
Tinker and Petey have tried Orijen and have done great on it! I have also purchased a bag of ziwipeak for them to try next but we are trying to get through the bag of orijen first. You are exactly right- it looks exactly like meat jerky. It really looks more like treats than food. I really don't know which one is better, they seem to have completely different philosophies on how they process the dog food. If I were you I would just rotate between the two (if your dogs do well on the ziwipeak). I hoped that helped wave
[notify]
Bekka

Bad...bad...girl

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 11:48am PST 
I currently feed Orijen (rotating between Regional Red and now 5 Fish and regular adult). I really like the Ziwipeaks diet. I fed it to my other Sheltie, who has since passed on, but it is a great diet!

If it wasn't so pricey I would feed it to Bekka Bella, but I highly recommend that diet!
[notify]

Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 1:31pm PST 
Ziwi Peak is awesome! When I had just my two little dogs, they ate quite a bit of it, but now that I have two large foster dogs, well, not so much. We do use it for training treats, though.

One thing is for sure - you won't have any trouble getting the dogs to eat it! smile
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 7:41pm PST 
WOW, I am so jealous right now. Both of those foods look awesome but I simply can not afford it for my three dogs...and I looked up Ziwi Peak...very expensive.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sat Aug 15, '09 9:27am PST 
Thanks for all the great advice! I figure that Ziwi Peak is as close to raw without actually going raw (well, the dogs are on half raw, but that's another story!) ..I also know there's frozen pre-made raw, but I just prefer the sourcing of ZiwiPeak suppliers.

I won't say it's not expensive, but whatever is good for them.. blue dog
[notify]
Tsuki, Kit,- Kiba &- Buckley

inubakablog.com

Barked: Sat Aug 15, '09 11:28am PST 
I love ZiwiPeak all around, no issues on it ever and the quality is so obvious. Its a beautiful alternative to a full raw diet and/or kibble.

You can email the company to ask for free samples, they'll send you a bag of treats and two small pouches of the cuisine.

It is pricey, but for my shibas (18 & 23lbs) they got a scoop twice a day while on vacation for 5 days, and the smaller bag lasted about that long, with a little extra to use as treats when we got back. I highly recommend it!
[notify]
Nubi CGC, SD

Hi, my name is- [Squirrel!] ...- uh. Nubi.

Barked: Sun Aug 16, '09 9:14am PST 
With the price of Ziwipeak, one could go raw using Nature's Variety, Stella and Chewys, Primal, etc and still be less... for a 50lb dog or so..
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sun Aug 16, '09 9:16am PST 
Nubi,

I know of those options wink

I just prefer the sourcing of Ziwi Peak though.. and we have a 90lb dog, 7lb, and a 10lb. laugh out loud

Thanks Tsuki! Nice to know you have experience with this food!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:12pm PST 
I have to say Ziwipeak all the way. Ziwipeak is a New Zealand company which exports their products from there. New Zealand laws are much more stringent on what can be put into a dogs food vs here in the U.S. I have 2 or should I say nearly 200 lb of Doberman Pinschers at home that LOVE the Ziwipeak. I've fed raw for the past few years, but with certain advantages Ziwipeak will win. Very convenient, all the proper rations are already configured, no thawing or storing 300 lbs of food any longer. To say Orijen is a bad food is crazy, but it did give my male Dobe terrible gas. I've experimented over the years with foods and have seen the differences while using Ziwipeak.

Yes it is pricey, but how do you put a price on a happy and healthy dog ? For the two I'll spend 500 a month, so be prepared if you have large breeds. But one more time " SO WORTH IT " !!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2