GO!

What makes a dog prone to loose stool?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ryro

Barked: Sun Jun 21, '09 11:19pm PST 
Ryro has never had perfect solid poop (except when on one type of food; Pedigree). I noticed that if the food I was feeding him was higher quality (ie. innova evo, solid gold) then he would leave me with loose or mushy poop. Now on one incident I went on a whim at the grocery store and picked up Pedigree Healthy Vitality and instantly his poop went solid. Big, perfect, rock-solid poop I tell ya! I obviously took him off the food once the bag was gone so he could receive better quality nutrition. He's on Go! Natural grain-free right now(6 stars on dogfoodanalysis.com) and has been for the past 6 months. His poop is okay, some times its mushy and sometimes it's semi-solid but it's the best I've seen out of the higher quality foods I've given him. I've even given him supplements with high fibre but that just made things even worse. So my question is, what could make a dog prone to loose stool?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jun 22, '09 6:24am PST 
Have you tried probiotics? My first guess was the Pedigree is higher in fiber so that is why the stool was firm on it. It could be the type of fiber still. Soluble and insoluble. Check which is in Pedigree and supplement with that type?

Could also be overfeeding. I always thought if you fed too much food the dog would get fat. Well I tried to feed Max EVO when it first came out and he consistantly had soft stool. NOW I realize the food was so different I was probably overfeeding him. I figured that out when I tried to put a little weight on Sassy by feeding her more food. Her stool got soft! AND she didn't gain that weight. Then a couple years later I found if I wanted to put weight on her I needed to add in another meal.

Try cutting back by maybe 25% see what happens.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Jun 22, '09 11:48am PST 
In our case allergy/intolerances cause loose stool. Never fails, if the protein source is chicken our yard looks like acid burn.
[notify]

Ryro

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 2:36am PST 
I'll have to check in to that and see if there are any specific ingredients that could trigger it. His feeding intake is already cut back by 25% and has been for the past 3 months in efforts to shed a few extra pounds so that's not it.
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 4:05am PST 
I would agree that he may be getting too much with the better food.
The amount being fed needs to be cut back lots with the higher quality foods... without trying to lose weight we find it needs to be about 1/3 or more less with better foods. In our case loose stools are the first problem with higher quality unless we cut the amounts way, way back. I have one poodle who was eating 2 cups of purina each day. He now eats 3/4 cup of blue buffalo. Any more and he's loose. His weight is staying perfect after more than one month on the blue.
[notify]
Cherie-In- Loving- Memory

I deserve to be- Spoiled!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 12:07pm PST 
Loose or mushy type stools may be from the food fed being too rich for his tummy or food contains an ingredient that tummy cannot tolerate. It does boil down to what works for that tummy.
[notify]
Maci

Mommy's little- Piggy!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 5:01pm PST 
We fed Blue Buffalo for 6 months, after 3 months of it, the dogs started having a mushy stool. I then switched to Natural Balance sweet potatoe and venison, we are back to dark firm poo's..... then after that bag was done i went with Natural Balance potatoe and duck... the potatoe in the duck sometimes causes loose stools as well. So after this bag we are going back to the venison, I was trying to give them a rotation of flavors but potatoe/duck doesnt work for us the way that sweetpotatoe and venison does.

I had a cat once that just could not tolerate high dollar foods or low dollar foods. the only food she could eat was diamond professional or diamond active cat..... if she ate anything else she would get chronic diarreah, so I do believe some of the "better" foods are just not better for some
[notify]
Ryro

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 2:54am PST 
Food being too rich is what I thought could be one of the problems. The food he's on is quite high on the protein with 42% (the highest I've seen along with Orijen) and is also around 650 kcalories (which I think is quite high). I did try having him on the food for a couple weeks only feeding him 1 1/2 cups and then at another time just one cup. I find that though when I cut down on the food he definitely lacks energy and we need the energy for agility! Normally I would feed him 2 cups as suggested on the bag for a 50 lb. dog, he's currently 53 lbs and we're trying to shed those 3 pounds he's added this year. Right now I'm feeding him 1 & 3/4 cup a day (one cup in the morning, 3/4 in the evening). I reduce the amount if he's had treats/bones during the day. I think I might try 1 & 1/2 cups again. As for fibre intake, I've tried giving him fibre supplements (The Missing Link Supplement) and that made things worse. I couldn't even pick up the poop, it was just a giant liquid mess! I'd like to keep him on the food he's currently on though as it's the only good food I've found that hasn't given him really runny stool, it's just a mushy blob. Sometimes it has its up and downs where it will be semi-solid (soft) logs of pick-upable poop and then the mash potato mush (which is what it is right now). I really appreciate you guys taking the time to write down your thoughts, comments, and advice dogsters.
[notify]
Petey

Petey Pablo the- Little Pan Man

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 7:00am PST 
When my dogs get diarrhea, I give them 100% pumkin from a can. This seems to work pretty well for them. I does make their poop bright orange thoughbig grin
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 8:13am PST 
I think you are feeding too much. I tried to put Max on EVO back when it came out and couldn't get it right through 2 large bags. The dogs need much less of something like that. I had been feeding him 2/3 cup of Wellness or Canidae and on EVO the 1/2 cup was far too much. He probably needed 1/4 cup.

Experiment, cut the amount in half and see what happens. If the stool gets firm but he loses weight then try feeding another meal daily to keep the weight up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2