GO!

Best food for Lymphoma?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Ruben

Mommy's- Fur-Angel

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 1:18pm PST 
Hi everyone! Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should feed my baby Ruben who is going to hopefully start treatment for lymphoma next week? I know I need grain-free and something that is high in (good) fat, but low in carbs. Thank you!
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 3:22pm PST 
Hey Ruben, I posted about this in your dog health thread. wink Tanuk has to be on grain free as well. Good brands to try that are available at Petco and Pet Supermarket are:

Natural Balance LID (we use the venison with some meat roll psrinkled on top, they also make cookies!)
Wellness Core
Innova EVO
Blue Wilderness
Merrick grain free
Canidae grain free

Hope that helps! If you look closely there are also grain free treats and wet foods out there, so don't feel too restricted!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 3:33pm PST 
Oh my that's so sad. Poor puppy.

Have you considered a prey model raw diet? Cancers tend to "eat" carbohydrates. Completely eliminating a cancer's food will help stop the cancer from spreading. There is also evidence that Omega 3 Fatty Acids (fish body oils) also inhibit the growth and spreading of cancer.

Here's a study done by Hill's (Science Diet):
32 dogs with lymphoma were divided randomly into two groups: one that received a diet heavy in menhaden fish oil and one that received a diet heavy in soy bean oil. Both groups also received chemotherapy. The dogs that received this omega 3 fatty acid diet went into remission sooner and stayed in remission longer than dogs that received the soy bean oil diet.

If you really want a kibble I'd go with Orijen or Evo as those two seem to have the least amount of carbohydrates of a commercial food.

The Hill's cancer food is a canned food. Which makes sense because canned foods are usually significantly lower in carbs than dry. The Hill's cancer formula is 19.9% carbohydrates on a dry matter basis. I know you'll be able to find something less than that. I just did the calculations for Evo 95% Beef canned and there is 3.11% carbohydrates on a dry matter basis. So canned commercial foods like that would be a good bet.

I would definitely consider adding an Omega 3 supplement to the diet. Something like Salmon Oil would be good. Most of the dog kinds come in a handy pump bottles so you can just squirt some on their food and you don't have to worry about puncturing little pills.
[notify]

Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 3:36pm PST 
Have you thought about a raw diet? You can get away from grains with kibble but they all will have carbs in it. With raw you can eliminate all carbs since dogs don't have a need for them anyway?

As for grain free there is
Ziwi Peak
Orijen
EVO
Solid Gold has one
Fromm Surf n Turf
Go
Now
Merrick Before Grain
The Honest Kitchen has a couple
Canidae has a line
Taste of the Wild
Acana
Canine Caviar
Instinct
Wellness Core

and that's all I can think of. Also Blue Buffalo Wilderness isn't grain free.

It really might be worth it to consider raw. So sorry Ruben and your family are having to go through this.

ETA - I was posting at the same time as my ever so smart pal Sedonawave red face As always great info

Edited by author Thu Apr 9, '09 3:37pm PST

[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 3:41pm PST 
It looks like Sedona and Madison have the foods covered... I just wanted to add that I am a huge fan of the great dane lady and her feed programs...
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/cancer_supplement s.htm
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 5:13pm PST 
Oops, sorry about that. Blue Wilderness is a high protein low carb diet, so not completely grain free!
[notify]
Miss Priss

little one

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 6:33pm PST 
Hi - Sorry about your situation! I hope all goes well...
We love SoJo grain-free home cooking mixes...
It is like hamberger Helper for dogs ...
see here:
http://www.sojos.com/index.aspx?affiliate=petnurse
[notify]
Miss Priss

little one

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 6:33pm PST 
Hi - Sorry about your situation! I hope all goes well...
We love SoJo grain-free home cooking mixes...
It is like hamberger Helper for dogs ...

Edited by moderator Thu Apr 16, '09 5:44pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Moose

My master is- good and smart- (up movie)

Barked: Fri Apr 10, '09 9:39pm PST 
I would encourage you to research a raw diet. I've read quite a few positive testimonals about the raw diet and cancer when initially researching whether or not to put my dog on the diet for severe allergies.
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Fri Apr 10, '09 9:52pm PST 
Here is a link that will give you references to some good canine cancer diets:

Cancer Diets
[notify]