GO!

My dog is constantly hungry!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Keesha

Fatty

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '09 5:00pm PST 
My dog is always hungry! she'll want more and more food even if we feed her a lot she wants more. She is overweight and I really don't know what's wrong with her. Help! hamster dance
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '09 6:54pm PST 
Suggestion#1 Maybe she wants more protein or fat? Sassy gets a whole lot more fat than when she was on kibble and it is a good thing. Low fat food isn't satisfying. Less food that is higher in fat and protein may be better for her. Possibly doctor that with unsalted canned green beans or plain canned pumpkin. Senior dogs need as much if not more protein than when they were younger to keep from loosing muscle mass. Figure out how much protein is in the amount of food you are giving. At the very least 1 gram of protein per pound body weight. The less grain or other starchy vegetable the better, they can cause low blood sugar which makes dogs hungrier.

Suggestion#2 Has she had a senior blood panel? Possibly an underlying health issue. Dogs with low thyroid can have weight problems.

Suggestion#3 There is a current thread about a poodle pup who is also always hungry. I think part of that could be boredom. Could be here as well. More walks? Feed her with food puzzles instead of from a boring bowl? Train tricks and obedience with dinner kibble? Find more ways to pay attention to her that don't include food? Try the in house recall game. Everybody in the house grab a handful of dinner kibble and go do their thing. Everybody alternate calling her and give her one kibble for her amazing ability to find them. My dogs about get into fights they get so excited by this game. Don't feed all of dinner this way but a good bit can be fed kibble by kibble.

Suggestion#5 This is normal dog behavior. A dog that passes by a calorie could starve in the wild. Food today doesn't mean food tomorrow. Exploit her hungriness, see how much she will do for the merest crumb. Make the crumbs her daily kibbles, not so many french fries!
[notify]