GO!

Pupperoni and Onions

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 5:13pm PST 
Gunner, I stopped buying pupperoni and started buying human beef sticks, specifically ones from Kroger because he loves puppperoni and had ingredients I thought harmful. He has a sensitive tummy also. They where beef, not chicken.

Edited by author Mon Jan 12, '09 5:16pm PST

[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 7:22pm PST 
Ah !! Poop on you Gunner,,just when I got comfy,,now I got to close the laptop, get out of the easy chair , then find my glasses to check to see what I been been feeding the little fat fart in his Pupperoni ,,.....laugh out loudlaugh out loud
Hugs & NO Farts
Thor's Mom ...wave
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 5:49am PST 
I wouldnt give anything to him that had Onion or onion extract in it. Will not take the chance with that. Garlic also can be toxic to dogs and cause anemia. There is garlic in alot of treats also. I have to read the ingredients in EVERYTHING I buy. I have ended up taking stuff back to the store. So I make sure I save my self a trip back to the store and the Health of my dog and read ALL ingredients before I Buy. Soy is also another health concern for Bulldogs, most bulldogs are allergic to soy. I Buy all Natural treats and snacks usually from the Pet or Feed Store.
[notify]

Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 6:59am PST 
Still no response from the company. thinking
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 7:14am PST 
Do We think that we will actually get a response back????? Or One assuring us that they have done all the proper testing and that they are safe.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 7:26am PST 
A response!

January 13, 2009
Dear Cassandra,

Thank you for your e-mail sharing your concerns regarding onion extract in Pup-Peroni Dog Snacks. We're glad you took the time to contact us.

We do use very low levels of onion extract in some of our dog food and dog snack recipes. Onion extract is a GRAS ingredient (FDA 'Generally Recognized As Safe' ingredient list) for use in dog foods.

You're correct in that raw onions and dried onion powder contain a group of compounds called thiosulfates that have been associated with changes is red blood cells, which is the reason that onions are considered by some to be a risk to cats and dogs. However, we use onion extract rather than the onion powder. Onion extract does not contain these thiosulfate compounds. There is no risk from the low level of onion extract present in our products, including Pup-Peroni.

Thanks again for contacting us. We are vitally concerned with the health and well-being of pets. You can be assured your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate people in our company. As a way of thanking you, we're sending coupons in the postal mail. If we can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to call our toll-free number, 1-800-252-7022.

Adam, Del Monte Foods Consumer Affairs
consumeraffairs@delmonte.com
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 8:21am PST 
Off Course they are going to try to say something Positive. I still wont take the chance, its not worth the risk.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2