GO!

What is the best food to reduce tear staining?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Koti

Sir Naughty

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 6:24am PST 
I have a Maltese-Shihtzu mix that has terrible tear staining. He has been eating Nutro Natural and that seems to make it worse. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 6:29am PST 
Nutro Natural isnt the greatest food. I know it all depends on the dog. But any high quality food should help. Since I have been feeding my dogs wellness their tear stains have reduced a great deal. Canidae is another good food, merrick, taste of the wild, orijen, natural balance. Look at the dog food journal for more premium foods.
[notify]
Opal

The cat did it

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 6:31am PST 
The food that worked for Opal was Taste of the Wild. I started her on Orijen, but didn't notice the eye boogers/tear staining practically diminish until the switch to TOTW.
[notify]

Kuma

Desperately cute- & stinky!

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 10:28am PST 
The food that worked for my sister's Maltese mix was Wellness. She said she has tried many other formulas, but none of them worked. Last one she tried was NV Instinct and the tearstains came back. Also, she gives her dogs Sparklett water, which is the water that she drinks.
[notify]
SAMSON

SAMSON - aka - Sir Barks-A-Lot!

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 5:12am PST 
I used to have bad stains too! I eat Nature's Variety with no problem thinking

Mommy has me on bottled water & that is what help me get rid of them!

Good Luck! way to go

SAMSON ~ now stain-free snoopy

FYI - You might need to try several things - to see which it is that is causing your staining. Could be a treat your eating too!
[notify]