GO!

Taste of the Wild Update

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 10:58am PST 
All,

I emailed TOW about USDA inspected meats, BHA/BHT/ethoxyquin free food, etc.

This was their response:

Where does all the bison, venison, quail and turkey come from?

Bison-Wyoming
Venison--Australia
Quail--North Carolina
Turkey--Midwest

- How about the fish?

Pacific Northwest

- And the vegetables and fruits?

Most of the ingredients in Taste of the Wild originate in the United States. There are critical ingredients that are not available domestically in an adequate supply and with as much quality as our international supply. We do purchase some ingredients from foreign suppliers such as potato protein from Germany and dried chicory root from Belgium. We screen for all toxins with a test called ToxiScreen. This test screens for other toxins besides melamine and cyanuric acid but heavy metals, pesticide residue, aflatoxin, vomitoxin, rodenticide, and many others. Should any of these contaminants be resent in the sample, the ToxiScreen test will detect it.

- Are all ingredients 100% human grade approved?

No ingredient used by a pet food manufacturer can be honestly called “human grade”. By definition, once any ingredient enters a pet food facility, it by law becomes classified as “feed grade”. However, many of the ingredients used in the Taste of the Wild product line originate from food grade facilities.

- Are they hormone / antibiotic-free meats?

Yes

- Is your fish ethoxyquin-free?

Our suppliers use proprietary methods for preservation, applying minimal amounts for preservation during transport. The heat from our process destroys the inbound preservation systems. Our preservation system for finished product preservation is natural tocopherols.

- Does Diamond have any impending FDA warnings or violations that need to be resolved?

None

- Is the food tested for impurities? What tests do you do on your products?

Raw Ingredients Testing:

All whole grains and§ grain-related ingredients are tested for specific risk mycotoxins prior to receipt.

All fats and oils are sampled§ and tested for antioxidant levels and oxidative stability index (OSI) to assure rancidity does not occur

All loads of protein meal (e.g.§ fish, chicken) and are tested for peroxide value (rancidity).

All bulk ingredients are§ sampled and tested for moisture, protein, fat, ash, and other applicable tests such as particle size.

All ingredients are examined§ for visual and odor deviations. Retainer samples are kept for each load for a minimum of 18 months.

• General toxicity screening – detects harmful levels of any toxins present in the ingredient or finished product

Samples are collected with a robotic arm, eliminating human influence from the sampling process.

Finished Product Testing:

Samples of uncoated pet food§ are collected every 30 minutes during production and tested for moisture, protein, fat, ash, crude fiber, bulk density, and dimensions.

Samples of pet food are§ collected and tested for mycotoxin at the beginning and end of each production run.

Samples of finished product are§ collected on an hourly basis and tested for moisture, protein, fat, ash, crude fiber, and bulk density.

Packaged bags are tested for§ bag weight, bag fill, production code, best before date, and bag seal on an hourly basis.

Packaged bags of pet food are§ passed through a metal detector prior to palletization. Metal detectors are calibrated (checked) using set standards by the packaging operator on an hourly basis and by the QC technician once every two hours.

All products manufactured are§ sampled on an hourly basis and stored as retainers for 12-18 months.

VP of Marketing.

I would love to get your thoughts on this. I think that they evaded answering honestly about some of the key questions -

Does it contain BHA, BHT? My assumption: yes
Does the meat come from USDA human consumption facilities? My assumption: no
Is the fish processed with ethoxyquin before it gets to their facilities? My assumption: yes

The reason for my assumptions: If these were to their advantages they would advertise them!

My dog really likes TOW but I am not convinced that this is a quality food. It seems that it is more a marketing ploy with higher protein% and grain free.

I would love to get your opinions on it.

mb

Edited by author Wed Jun 4, '08 11:00am PST

[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 12:02pm PST 
Your assumptions are probably correct.
[notify]
Opal

The cat did it

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:08pm PST 
Oh no, I finally found a food that's working for Opal and now it's on the "bad" food list? confused
[notify]

Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:17pm PST 
Does it contain BHA, BHT? My assumption: yes
Does the meat come from USDA human consumption facilities? My assumption: no
Is the fish processed with ethoxyquin before it gets to their facilities? My assumption: yes

I don't see where you explicitly asked those questions. Did they just skip them? Or just not address those topics in the other answers?
[notify]
Kuma

Desperately cute- & stinky!

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:18pm PST 
I wouldn't say it's on a completely bad food list. Compared to by-products, I'm thinking TOTW can still be considered an upgrade.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:24pm PST 
They skirted around the answers Mingus. Instead of saying, Yes we use ethoxyquin or No we don't, they said we use a preservative that gets cooked out of the meat or something like that.

I think Daisy e-mailed them months back with similar questions and she got similar responses.

If fish is not bought as human grade meat, it has ethoxyquin in it as per governmental rules.
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:27pm PST 
Right, but the words "BHA/BHT" don't appear anywhere in the questions.

Just wondering. shrug

ETA - And actually, it seems like they gave the information you asked for. Technically, by their answer, they could just say "No, we don't use ethoxyquin" since THEY are not using it, their suppliers are. So actually, I think their answer possibly gets more at the truth?

Edited again because I was typing fast and totally butchered "ethoxyquin." laugh out loud

Still doesn't look right. big laughbig laughbig laugh

Edited by author Wed Jun 4, '08 3:31pm PST

[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:28pm PST 
Here are some other threads about it.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/51590 5

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/456678

another thread that kinda mentions it http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/54444

Edited by author Wed Jun 4, '08 3:31pm PST

[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:33pm PST 
They know what it means when someone asks if there is ethoxyquin in the food. They aren't lying by saying "No we don't use it," but it's only a half truth. I don't know about the BHA/BHT thing.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:35pm PST 
laugh out loud Ethoxyquin is hard to spell. I had to look it up and I've been just ctrl C-ing every time I have to use it. big grin

ethoxyquinethoxyquinethoxyquinethoxyquin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3