GO!

So You Are Confused By Dog Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 5 of 110: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  [Last 10 entry]  
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 4:30am PST 
hamster dancehamster dancehamster dancehamster dancehamster dancehamster dance
[notify]
Zeus

I am naked- Love!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 10:15am PST 
cloud 9hamster dance
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 12:48pm PST 
bump...hamster dance
[notify]

Bella

"Don't worry, be- happy!"

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 2:51pm PST 
Sedona,
I've fed my dogs Science Diet as recommended by some vets and vet school students for awhile now- And I could never justify changing or feeding anything different because my dogs are healthy and look good. I always said "I could see if she didn't have a good coat, wasn't active, didn't have energy, didn't look good..." etc and seriously always thought I was making the right decision with Science Diet (I had it in my head that that is what I was going to feed before we even got the dog... majority of the reason is because a friend in vet school recommended it... and she's smart! LOL) ALSO because I took an animal nutrition class- from the top undergrad school in getting students into vet school. Now, on behalf of the class I'll say it was 99.99 percent geared to livestock- BUT we were told that unless you have performance dogs it really doesn't make too much of a difference in what dog food you feed as long as a meat is the first product.

After reading your post Im changing... its not enough for my dogs just to look good and have energy, etc. Maybe they are a lucky on that does great on this food but I'm not taking the chance- they are young now and who knows what will happen when they are older.

Very, very nicely done, and thank you so much for taking the time to do it. I'm going to save a copy to my computer. blue dogblue dogblue dog
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 2:59pm PST 
Bella that is really great to hear. I know Sedona will LOVE reading this. If you have any questions at all we are all more than willing to help in anyway we can. wavehamster dance
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 3:14pm PST 
Yes! I did love reading that!
[notify]
Oscar

Until there are- none, adopt one!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 8:11pm PST 
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!! snoopy

I am so glad that you did this!!! I try to tell people all the time that the food they are feeding is horrible, but most don't listen. I've even compared their food to feeding their kids Mc Donalds everyday and they just laugh at me. The sad thing is that it is true BOL.

Thank you for really breaking it down for owners and letting them know the importance of nutrition & diet!!! cheer

Oscar

PS To all out there... remember, just because they sell food in the grocery store, have comecials on TV, or sell it at your vet... doesn't mean that it is good!!! All's it takes is money(big pay offs) and miss education!!! Go to your local pet store and you will find a way better quality of food, because they don't care about profit or referals... they really care about us and our nutrition!!!
[notify]
Nikki

Woo-Woo-Woo!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 9:43pm PST 
bravo applause Great post
[notify]
Cpl Cledus- K-Bar -- 2/97-3/08

Semper Fi!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 10:34pm PST 
I feel so guilty because we fed our Lil' Li Royal Canine for bulldogs. We thought it was very good for him. He passed away almost two months ago at age 11 of a tumor in his spleen.

We have a new bulldog now (rescue - we rescued him and he is still resuing us from our sadness). He's 4 and he came eating Old Roy. we immediately switched him over to the "good dog food" Royal Canine.

Please help, TMI!!! If I pick one of those on the good list will I be good? I know Bullies have other particular allergies too.

Thanks in advance for the helpthinking
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 10:53pm PST 
Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't feel guilty. You were doing the best to your ability and knowledge. That is a very commendable thing. And kudos to you for adopting a pet in need!

If you pick one of the foods on the food list you might be good. It all depends on what your new bulldog's belly can handle. I have zero experience with bulldogs so my advice might not mean much. I know two bulldog Dogster members who eat Innova and California Natural. Those are both great products made by Natura. Check them out.

Feel free to ask anymore questions that you might have!

ETA: I checked the ingredients of the Royal Canin Bulldog formula and that's really not that bad. It's pretty decent. There are much worse foods out there. I'd still pick Innova over Royal Canin, and I bet Innova is a lot cheaper!wink

Edited by author Wed Apr 30, '08 11:03pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 5 of 110: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  [Last 10 entry]