GO!

Best PUPPY FOOD for Large Breeds

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Captain- Jean-Luc- Picard, Jr.

"Make it- so!!!!!!!"

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '08 8:22pm PST 
First off. When Dad got me from the breeder... stated that she used Eukanuba Puppy food for Large Breeds.

Now.... Dad in reseaching dog and puppy food has found out it is not really a good dog food. In fact it is only a 1 star. frown

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

But the site seeems to recommend against the 6star dog foods for puppies due to thier high protein content. shrug

Since that be the case.... Dad has been looking at Blue Buffalo for Large breed puppies. At least it rates a 4 and is avabile at Petsmart. (From what Dad could tell.... it was the highest rated puppy food petsmart carries.)

Any other suggestions?????

Or if you have used Blue Bufflo.... what was your impression????

Edited by author Sat Mar 22, '08 9:09pm PST

[notify]
Moose

Too sexy for my- shirt.

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '08 8:26pm PST 
Even though Moose is not big, this is what we are feeding now and he loves it. I'd also recomend Solid Gold. You get it at Petco. I am going to put this food into Moose's rotation as soon as he gains a little weight.
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 5:32am PST 
It's the calcium levels that are the real culprit not the protein. However, most foods with high protein will also have high calcium so you just have to check. Less than 1.5 calcium is rec. Eagle Pack is great for large breeds. It was developed for Great Danes. Solid Gold as someone else mentioned also has put in research for Danes. Those are the two I know of as being quite good. Gunner Paws usually has some pretty good input also on this subject. Check for the calcium more so then that protein.
[notify]

Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 6:28am PST 
As Madison said, calcium is the biggest issue for large breed puppies. Protein, as long as it comes from proper sources (named meats and meals) is not as important. The only six star I can think of that meets this criteria is Orijen Large Breed puppy. It'd be a fine food for a Golden Retriever puppy.

The only other puppy food I recommend for large breeds is the Eagle Pack Holistic large breed puppy. The food is made in its own facilities, and they are good quality control. The company did extensive research on Great Dane growth, and formulated a food accordingly. Solid Gold did the same, but due to recent information, I have a hard time recommending it any more.

After those two, I would just feed a good quality adult food. Puppy foods, for the most part, are a gimmick, to me. They aren't much different than adult formulas. Looking at the Blue Buffalo, the Large Breed Puppy has very similar levels to the Chicken and Brown Rice. That's true of most puppy foods. That being said, any All Life Stages food will be fine. These include:

Innova (not EVO)
Wellness (not CORE)
Canidae
Nature's Variety (not Instinct)
By Nature
Blue Buffalo (I think the Wilderness might be alright, as well)
Natural Balance
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 7:07am PST 
Thanks Gunner. Maddy was on Eagle Pack as a pup. Thanks again Gunner.
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 7:09am PST 
My personal choices for a large (not giant) breed puppy would be either Solid Gold Wolf Cub or Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy!

Like Gunner stated, Orijen Large Breed Puppy would also be appropriate, but is sort of hard to find in stores in certian areas.

Some Petcos sell Solid Gold, so if you're looking for something easy to find, that'd be your best bet!

Edited by author Sun Mar 23, '08 7:11am PST

[notify]
Bindi

Primum non- nocere

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 7:17am PST 
Skip the puppy food altogether and get a an All Stages type food.

Puppies don't need "special" nutrients, they just need a little more, so you feed them more than you would an adult.

Puppy foods cause rapid growth, rapid growth is the last thing you want especially with a large breed. You want a slower more natural growth. This will help prevent bone and joint problems associated with fast growth.
[notify]
Captain- Jean-Luc- Picard, Jr.

"Make it- so!!!!!!!"

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 1:42pm PST 
Gunner PAWS said, "The only six star I can think of that meets this criteria is Orijen Large Breed puppy. It'd be a fine food for a Golden Retriever puppy."

Dad looked at the Orijen, but was concerned about the protein warning.... but he may have to look at it again.

He had also been told to pull me off puppy food at about this point, so maybe an Adult dog food would be in order.

Edited by author Sun Mar 23, '08 1:44pm PST

[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 2:05pm PST 
That wouldn't be wrong, imo, Jean! (If I may call you that!)

We pulled Zeus off of a puppy food (won't name which one, I didn't know better back then) at 6 months old, and from now on I won't even use a puppy food! (I personally don't feel like it's needed for giant breed puppies.)

Just watch the calcium and phosphorous content! I'm slowly beginning to accept the "new school of thought" with the higher protein for large/giant breed puppies, but still wouldn't feel comfortable using a high protein food for any of my future Bullmastiff puppies.

Good luck my friend! way to go

ETA: Also, if you're giving supplements, make sure you are using one that doesn't have any calcium supplement in it! I just say this because recently we've had a ton of people buying Newfoundland puppies, and it seems like all of the "breeders" (if I may use that term very loosely) send them home with NuVet Plus, which is very concerning because of the oyster shell in them provides them with even more calcium! Just a heads up, look out for stuff like that!

Edited by author Sun Mar 23, '08 2:09pm PST

[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 2:20pm PST 
You are right the dog food analysis web site mentions the high protein content as something to look for. However, it's the calcium that needs to be monitored not the protein.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6