GO!

onion extract in dog treats?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Desiree

It's all about- ME.

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '07 12:04am PST 
In light of a recent post in the forums that got a lot of attention which was regarding foods that are toxic to dogs....

my dogs got a bunch of treats from a friend for xmas, and I happened to look at the ingredients. Two of the packages, the Beefy Sticks and the Jerky strips by Dolgencorp (which after some research I've concluded is the dollar general brand by Del Monte) list onion extract as an ingredient.

There was just this huge discussion in the forums about what onions do to dogs - so I am thoroughly confused as to why there is any trace of onion in these products.

I guess my only point in posting this is a warning...check the ingredients in the treats you are feeding!
[notify]
Isabel &- Rosie:The- Dynamic Duo

Kickin' Butt and- Takin' Names

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '07 9:19am PST 
Let's face it, these big corporate conglomerates don't know jack squat about animal health and nutrition. They just want to make money. Thanks for spreading the word about these harmful treats.
[notify]
Penny

Rattweiler

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 10:57am PST 
Well, onion and garlic are used in a lot of treats for flavor. Onion IS toxic, but in large quantities. A treat or two will not do enough to harm a dog. way to go
[notify]

Isabel &- Rosie:The- Dynamic Duo

Kickin' Butt and- Takin' Names

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 11:19am PST 
That's actually not true Penny. Any amount of onion, in any form, will produce heinz formations on red blood cells, weakening them so that they might potentially burst. If you eat enough onion and enough blood cells are effected a chain reaction will begin where red blood cells rupture and induce hemolytic anemia.

It only takes .5% of a dog's body weight in onions to cause toxicity problems so the best course of action is to avoid onions and all foods with onions in them, especially when you don't even know how much onion is in them.
[notify]