GO!

Is Tuna Good For Dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Latte

Fetchaholic

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '07 4:16pm PST 
To answer your question -- YES! However, I agree with Brody. To minimize the risk of higher than desired mercury levels, I limit tuna to once/month at most. Instead, they get mackerel or salmon weekly. I understand that sardines are also good.
[notify]
Gracie

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '07 6:30pm PST 
I attended a seminar by a holistic vet & as far as fish is concerned she recommended feeding wild salmon. She specifically stated NOT to feed tuna because of high mercury levels.
[notify]
Dakota

Let it snow

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 1:42pm PST 
I got a response from Eagle Pack. Here's what they said,

"Hello,

Yes we do test and it is far below FDA recommendations, almost non detectable.

Thanks for asking,

John"

It sounds good, but what do you think?thinking
[notify]

Poitash

My Friend

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 1:58pm PST 
I know that many home cooked foods have tuna in them. Even the ones recommended by vets. So I would say it is fine to feed your dog tuna, I use either tuna or salmon in the fishy fudge treats I make my dogs. Although I would agree with the others that you need to be careful because of mercury levels. I use canned salmon more often than tuna for the fudge just because that is what I buy more often just to have around the house. But he still gets a batch made from tuna every two or three months.
[notify]
Naya

Do you have any- edamame beans?

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 1:58pm PST 
What about the white tuna and red tuna I eat at the sushi bar?

I eat sushi/sashimi quite a bit, as does Naya's Mom...hmmm....mercury you say....
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 3:14pm PST 
Nutritionally speaking, tuna's fine for dogs in moderate amounts. I wouldn't make it a major component of the diet, but in the interest of variety, it's a good food item. The heavy metal contaminant issue is a concern.

There are other fishes that are better suited to include in a dog's diet than tuna -- namely the omega-3 oil rich ones like sardines, mackerel, and herring. Salmon is great, too. If you're feeding fresh salmon fished in the Pacific North West there is the potential for an infection called "Salmon Poisoning" specific to canines, so be safe and learn how to avoid that risk if you have access to fresh-caught PNW salmon.

Portia mentioned that tuna generally found in dog food is "the head, fins, and guts" and says there's little muscle meat included. This might be the case in cheaply produced substandard foods, but there are pet foods (I'm aware of mostly cat food) out there that are made from tuna meat. It pays to choose quality foods made by companies who go above and beyond base regulations set forth by the AAFCO. The definition of "fish" and "fish meal" leave a lot to be desired according to the AAFCO food definitions. It should be noted, however, that fish heads and innards are nutritious, but as with other "by products" that might be healthy as fresh items you don't necessarily want to feed a food where the "fish meal" component is just viscera or something.

There could be a slight concern over the purine content in tuna, though I think this is much more of a concern for cats than dogs. If tuna is fed in moderation as part of a varied good quality diet I wouldn't worry about it unless your dog has kidney problems already.

Mmmmm, fish!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 3:17pm PST 
Oh yeah, if you feed your dog canned tuna intended for humans make sure it's the stuff packed in water and not in oil. No need to feed all that oil with the fish, and remember that it's not fish oil it's packed in, but vegetable oils. Sometimes it's even soybean oil which could be especially bad.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 3:28pm PST 
Risa gets tuna on occasion as a treat, but because of it's high mercury levels, I don't feed it often. Usually if I'm having a tuna melt she gets a taste before I add in the mayo. wink So tuna is okay for dogs to eat, but only in small quantities.

Edited by author Wed Aug 22, '07 3:31pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2