GO!

What's the problem with Beneful?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  
Brady Bleu

I don't care if- Lassie did it.

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 4:51pm PST 
People on here keep saying that Purina Beneful isn't a good dog chow to feed your dogs. But I've been feeding it to Brady for almost 3 years, and Shadow, about 2 years.
What, if anything, is it supposed to do that's bad?
[notify]
Boo

Life: Snack,- Snuggle, and- Sleep

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 5:14pm PST 
The best way to judge a dog food is simply to look at the ingredients listed. Dog food companies list their ingredients in the the most favorable light they legally can.

From their website:
Beneful Original Ingredients
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow

2 of the first 3 ingredients is corn. Corn is a cheap filler. Dogs are carnivores and should eat MEAT. The only meat is chicken by-product meal. Note this is different from chicken meal which is inexpensive and low-quality. By-products are even less quality! This is not food a dog would eat if given a choice. They'd rather leave it for the scavengers and go after fresh whole prey.

See www.dogfoodproject.com for more information about these ingredients -- especially on beef tallow. It is that beef tallow that is probably causing the dogs to eat the food at all.

Feeding Beneful is better than letting a dog starve. Look at it this way, your kids can live solely on hot dogs but they won't be very healthy. Hmmm. That analogy might be giving Beneful too much credit.
[notify]
Elliot

I am larger than- life, no really- I AM

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 5:22pm PST 
The first ingredient in kibble should be meat, not meal or by propcuts but meat. Dogs have no use for corn or other fillers like wheats. Look for a premium brand, yes they cost more but you'll need to feed less as the dog can actually use what's in it. You'll also notice smaller poops, that's also because all that corn just goes right through, no nutrious value.
Your dog can live a long life on a low quality kibble but as said before a lot of poeple live of junk food. You can do it but its not healthy.
[notify]

Camarillo "BRILLO"

brill-cream...a- lil daub'll do- ya.....

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 5:55pm PST 
If a meat (let's say chicken) is listed first and it weighs in at 30% of the total ingredients it is quickly reduced to about 6% when turned into kibble and baked ...eek ... on the other hand if chicken meal is listed first it maintains almost the total 30% volume.

There was a kibble test floating around dogster awhile back and while it wasn't pinpoint accurate it was generally realistic. The test rated Beneful 2nd worst with a score of 18 (all kibbles started with 100 points)

I agree with the post above... Dogs are carnivores and Beneful does not fulfill a carnivores needs.
[notify]
Camarillo "BRILLO"

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 6:19pm PST 
I forgot to mention that the "yellow corn meal" and "corn gluten" which makes up the majority of this product is not the wholesome (for omnivores??) kernel...no, it's the unusable (not fit for human consumption) fractions left by corn mills from other food industries. This stuff should be thrown away at a cost to the company.... instead big companies like Proctor and Gamble add a dog food company to their fold and dump the waste products of others into their food for "HUGE" profits.

You'll also find that Beneful's recommended serving is about 40%-60% more than a low-non filler product like Canidae or Innova. Way way way less poop !!!!... big grin
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 6:27pm PST 
Chicken Meal is just Chicken that is processed. There's an argument to be made for the benefit of less-processed Chicken.

Chicken is roughly 70% water. Chicken Meal is roughly 5% water. Until we get percentages on ingredients labels (they are at the moment listed by weight-- and water is heavy), your best bet to determine if chicken truly is the "first" ingredient is to look for Chicken Meal (Beef Meal, Lamb Meal, etc.) before any grain is listed.

Best (of both worlds) for a "regular" chicken formula, for example:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, good carbohydrate, good fiber, good fat, ...
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 6:28pm PST 
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
F-4090

The ingredients listed above is for their "Original Formula" There are countless ingredients that, in my opinion, aren't fit for dogs and provide nothing more than "enough to get by" - but getting by at what quality of life? Aside from the fact that they choose to use 3 different flour sources, SORBITOL, beef tallow (which is not only used in animal feed but making soap, bird food, and as a raw material in making biodiesel and other oleochemicals) animal digest (just stop and think about this one!) sugar (because sorbitol wasn't enough?)

And get THIS....apparently their low quality ingredients made it into "Wikipedia - an online encyclopeda" - THIS IS QUOTED FROM THEIR SITE:

In many cases, by-product meals are derived from "4-D" meat sources -- defined as food animals that have been rejected for human consumption because they were presented to the meat packing plant as "Dead, Dying, Diseased or Disabled." The quality of animal meat by-products also tends to be very inconsistent between batches.

Meat by-products are commonly found in lower-grade pet foods and even many of the larger name brands, including Science Diet (even their prescription diet product line), Purina (both Purina One and Purina Pro Plan), and Iams / Eukanuba. Ingredients listed as "meat, beef, chicken, and/or poultry by-products" on pet food labels are not required to include actual meat, and "rendered meat" on labels can refer to any rendered mammal meat, including dogs and cats.

I think the last paragraph alone sums up why in the world I would never advise anyone, even my enemies to purchase a product like this!
[notify]
Delta

I love water!!

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 8:11pm PST 
Okay, I'll summerize what everyone says and I'll break all the ingredients down. Corn isn't necessarily a bad thing, it has a bad rap because so many companies use it as a filler and not a carbohydrate and they put so much in it people tend to stay away from it. Corn isn't any better or worse than any other grain. It may not be as digestible as rice, but unless your dog is allergic corn isn't something that should be avoided.

While I will never say Beneful is a bad dog food I will say on my scale of rating it it's an okay dog food which is the lowest grade i'll give one. Okay here are the ingredients and what they mean. You have to realize that all ingredients are labeled in order before processing.

Ground yellow corn- as a first ingredient this food is going to be a grain based food. It's the third common allergy in dogs.

chicken by-product meal, AAFCO definition- Consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
Basically it's the left overs of dog food. It may contain organs but chances are any type of good meat that can be used and sold for higher cost isn't included.
corn gluten meal,the dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm.
Basically it's the left overs of the corn, it has no nutritional value.
whole wheat flour, AAFCO-flour together with fine particles of wheat bran, wheat germ and the offal from the "tail of the mill". This product must be obtained in the usual process of commercial milling and must not contain more than 1.5 percent crude fiber.
Depending on how much is used it may not be bad, but so many dogs develop allergies to it. I belive it's the number one allergy in dogs.
beef tallowAAFCO: Fat with titer above 40 degrees Celsius, obtained from the tissue of cattle in the commercial process of rendering. Also called Beef Fat.
Generally used for adding taste it is low in linoleic acid and there are much better quality ingredients like chicken fat that can be used. Beef tallow is a low quality ingredient.
rice flour, is probably the same as soy flour.
beef, while beef is good it's at the lower end of the list.
soy flour, AAFCO: The finely powdered material resulting from the screened and graded product after removal of most of the oil from selected, sound, cleaned and dehulled soybeans by a mechanical or solvent extraction process.
I believe it's the second most common allergy.
sugar, dogs don't need it in daily feeding. It's just there to add taste and dogs can get addicted to sugar.
animal digest, AAFCO: A material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind or flavor(s), it must correspond thereto.

You don't know what animal is used at all. It may include one of the 4D's (dead, diseased, dying, disabled).
(Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), These dyes have been tested a little bit and it is believe they may cause cancer, but the test results are unsure.
menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity) This has been banned by the FDA for use on over the counter supplements. It's synthetic vitamin K and isn't natural. It's known to cause death in high doses, weaken the immune system and damage the liver. These findings were discovered in humans. No test on animals have been conducted.
[notify]
Joey

Spotted noses- are the next new- trend...

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 8:13pm PST 
Aye, it's full of icky toxic stuff.

I'd normally say that if it's working for you to stick to it, but not with Beneful.big grinred face
You can try Kirkland dog food at Costco, it's just like Canidae, and it's cheaper than Beneful! Yummy!big grin
[notify]
Camarillo "BRILLO"

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 8:15pm PST 
Since you did ask for comments.... ask yourself this Brady Bleu... What is the purpose and reasoning for Beneful to have YELLOW#5...YELLOW #6 ... RED #40 and BLUE #2...(isn't that a rock band ???) "DYES" in their product. What possible benifit could you derive from dyes. Are different colored kibbles worth the possibilities that the "useless" dyes may , over time, harm you ???

You should also inquire about "MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE" (VITIMIN K3). Not good Brady B.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17