GO!

Beef tongue ?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:24pm PST 
Today I was in the meat section of the grocery store and saw a big beef tongue that I thought would be good to buy the pups. I picked it up, then put it down...picked it up again and then put it down. Has anyone fed tongue to their dogs before? I would assume that you would feed it as a muscle meat rather than an organ meat, am I correct. The only thing really stopping me from buying it was that it had already been in the counter for 4 days, so it really wasn't very fresh, but one tongue was 5 pounds, so it would do my pups for a couple of meals.
[notify]
Joey

Spotted noses- are the next new- trend...

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:28pm PST 
Hi Bosley!

We've seen those in the grocery store. When mommy bought them for us, we HATED them, mommy hated them too, so that's our two cents!laugh out loud

We eat raw, just not anything our of a cow's mouth.

wishessilenced
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:31pm PST 
I keep meaning to try it, but I've only seen them at WalMart. They aren't always in stock, I don't always need food and I don't make a habit of going to WalMart. It just hasn't worked out yet.

It would be muscle meat.

I don't worry about lack of freshness, for a dog... They are built to eat garbage. I don't feed anything rancid, but meat a few days past what I would eat is no biggie. Not for us, anyway. Plus that meat is usually on sale.
[notify]

Joey

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:33pm PST 
"built to eat garbage"

BOL Vance!laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh big laugh
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:35pm PST 
"That crud on the bottom of the trash can" is known to be a favorite of dogs 'round the world!
[notify]
Mattie

Say no to B.O.!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:40pm PST 
I feed lots of beef tongue, as a muscle meat. smile
[notify]
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:41pm PST 
Mom's been thinking about getting beef tongue for me too; she just hasn't gotten the courage to buy it smile I'm sticking with chicken for a bit while I get used to raw feeding smile
[notify]
Joey

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:43pm PST 
laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudbig laughbig laughbig laughhailhailhailcheercheercheerdancingdancingdancing

It's me, Joey, typing, mom's rolling on the floor, pathetic with laughter. Poor thing.
[notify]
olivia

Bow down to the- Queen!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 8:55pm PST 
i almost bought some the other day. question how much of it do you feed and how many times a week. or is it just like a treat type.
[notify]
Mattie

Say no to B.O.!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 9:10pm PST 
You can definitely use it as part of your meals, not just as a treat. The only thing to be careful of- it is highly marbled with fat, so you may want to start with small portions to prevent loose stools if your dog isn't used to meat with a high percent of fat. I feed it a couple times a week, it has a lot of good nutrients in it.
The price around here is getting a little prohibitive-2.89 a lb, up a dollar more a lb from last year. Dunno why shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2