GO!

Is Canned Tuna OK?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 11:24am PST 
Hello, I have 2 dogs and one cat and they are currently on canidae and wellness foods. I wanted to start feeding some canned tuna in with the food or on the side as a treat but I heard that the canned tuna is bad for them. I buy my tuna from a health food store and it said it was all natural. Is it ok to feed canned tuna, and how much is too much? ALSO, liver.... how does everyone feed liver? and how much?
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 11:26am PST 
Woof!! Woof!!!

I only offer Carmen canned tuna in moderation every once in a while due to the high levels of mercury.

As for liver, I have offered it raw; however, Carmen picks it out of her meals and drops it on the floor. Sometimes, she would eat it and sometimes she would walk away. Now I cook it for just a few minutes and she eats it right up! puppy
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 11:28am PST 
Oh, and as for how much - it is based on your pup's weight!!!
[notify]

Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 11:33am PST 
Thanks for the help!! They weight between 50 and 60 lbs. Is there a chart somewhere or a good site on feeding liver and things similar? Thank you!!
[notify]
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 11:40am PST 
Personally I wouldn't feed liver if your guys are already on Canidae and Wellness. Since there are added nutrients in commercial food, they've been supposedly balanced. Liver is very rich in Vitamin A & D, among other things, and if you feed too much Vit A, you risk toxicity...

Canned tuna is not optimal in my book. If you want to add a canned fish, try canned mackerels. They're great in O3 levels, and the bones have been cooked and softened in the canning process, so you'll get the calcium benefits too. Sardines are also a great one to try. Just remember to drain all the excess liquid out. I have fed canned fish before when I was homecooking, and I used to soak the contents in a bowl of cold water for a couple of hours to leech the salt out, then drain and serve. HTH!
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 11:54am PST 
Canned tuna is great! But like Carmen mentioned, tuna does tend to be high in mercury. You could opt for something like canned sardines or canned salmon, just as tasty and lower in mercury. Gio and Romeo get homemade treats made out of tuna for training, but if I am offering it plain in a meal then they get sardines. Just be sure to get the fish canned in water and without added salt. If there is added salt, I like to rinse it in tap water a bit before serving.

As for liver, I feed my boys raw and liver is a very important part of a raw diet. It is recommended that, in a raw diet, organs make up about 10% of the dog's diet with half of that being liver. Raw is fed at 2-3% of the dog's body weight each day, so as an example, Gio gets 3/4lb of raw each day, that is 5.25lb per week. 10% of that needs to be organ so he gets 1/2lb of organ per week. Half of that needs to be liver, so 1/4lb liver per week. Depending on the dog and how they handle rich organs, you can feed that all in one day or spread it out over a few days.
[notify]
Honey

Sleep on the- floor - yeah right!!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 1:05pm PST 
Tuna is a big no no - and can be really dangerous when in brine. Far better to play it safe and go for sardines or mackeral
[notify]