GO!

Our Ongoing saga of Renal Failure from Recalled Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
WINston XXLP- 1997-2008

Larger_Than_Life- !

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 8:33am PST 
Our ongoing saga with the after-effects of the recalled food...today's vet visit was both good and bad...

the bad: Winston's urine specific gravity is very, very poor--worse than it was last week. This means that the raspberry-like nodules that are suppose to gather/concentrate the urine and deposit toxins into the stream are still not functioning. Basically, Win's urine is little more than distilled water. All the impurities are remaining for the most part inside his body. He has lost almost 4 pounds and has some protein in his stream. So, he is still in Acute Renal Failure.

the good: Winston's bloodwork is remaining for the most part in the normal range. So, the toxins haven't built up to the point where his organs are start to show permanent damage. His appetite continues to improve, especially when I hand-feed him chicken breast... and he seems very frisky--almost puppy-like.

what's next: We are going to monitor and measure Winston's water intake/urine output at home on Monday. Should make for an interesting day off. Based on that information, Win's vet will determine how soon she needs him back for more treatments/tests. Winston's vet is researching some treatments that they normally aren't equipped for in her clinic.

I forwarded some info to Win's vet that appeared on WFTV in Florida about a local vet clinic that used Leucovorin, which was a drug used in the U.S. when aminopterin was used as a cancer drug, to counter-act the negative effects. Leucovorin is an activated B-vitamin and is able to get past the toxin to help the cells start functioning again. After two days of the treatment with the Leucovorin, the Florida dog's kidneys were back to normal function.

http://www.wftv.com

outlook: As long as Winston keeps eating, urinating and sustaining good blood levels, his vet says it is possible Winston can still come out of this. The key word, of course, is possible.

Please keep us in your prayers.
Winston and family
[notify]
Mr. Spencer- Puggles

speed demon

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 8:42am PST 
We are so sorry to hear that you have been affected by this inexcusable recall. We know you will get better and pull through 100%. It sounds like you have a wonderful vet!

Can't wait for more good news! smile
[notify]
Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 8:45am PST 
hughughughug winston hughughughug
come on buddy you can fight this...I see it in your eyes
[notify]

Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 9:40am PST 
I am glad to hear that Winston's prognosis is positive. I am so angry over what has happened to all these poors dogs and cats! I understand that "stuff happens", but I think it is how it is handled that is especially important and the way this was handled was inexcusable. I hope menu foods is put out of business! You look like a great dog, our prayers are with you. Puppy hugs and kisses!
[notify]
Dickens

I may not be- smart, but darn- i'm cute!

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 12:26pm PST 
Our thoughts are with you and your family Winston. Please feel better very soon sweet boy. hug
[notify]
Ein

Ahhh, the Tale- of my Tail!

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 1:23pm PST 
I hope Winston gets better soon! You're in our thoughts in this scary time.

wishes
[notify]
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 4:20pm PST 
Oh, man. Hang in there, Winston!
[notify]
Bella

Mighty Mite

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 4:28pm PST 
Oh Winston - we're so sorry you've been affected by the bad food! You look like a strong boy - you'll beat this!!! You're in our thoughts and prayers!
[notify]
Lady

Sleep rocks!

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 10:14pm PST 
C'mon Winston! You can do it!! Lots of luck to you!
[notify]
Darby - C.G.C.

The Anti-Lassie

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 2:46am PST 
Get better, Winston! Be a good boy and take all your medicine. We're all rooting for you!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2