GO!

Greenies Ingredients

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

♥Maze- l♥

Making the world- a better- place!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 6, '06 4:34pm PST 
OK, somepup please help me! The new greenies ingredients list is really confusing- I don't know half the ingredients.
Gelatin, Wheat Protein Isolate, Glycerin, Soy Protein Isolate, Sodium Caseinate, Natural Poultry Flavor, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Vegetable Oil (Preserved with Propyl Gallate), Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Lecithin, Ground Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Monostearate, Monoglycerides of Edible Fatty Acids, Choline Chloride, Potassium Sorbate (A Preservative), Minerals (Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Maganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [source of Vitamin E], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Folic Acid), Chlorophyll.

What do you pups think? Normally, I wouldn't buy 'processed' things for Mazel, but I'm curious.
[notify]
Nikki

FOOD FOOD FOOD

Barked: Fri Oct 6, '06 4:53pm PST 
yep, the ingredients were questionable for me too. if I were to buy them I would first do some major research into the ingredients. .. however, I am going to pass on all greenies, new and old.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Oct 6, '06 5:03pm PST 
I really don't see what appeals people (or dogs) to Greenies. Their purpose is to clean teeth and keep healthy gums, right? I prefer to feed my dog items with no ingredient list. So if I want something to clean his teeth, why not a bone, bully stick, hoof, etc? Why bother sorting through ingredients that you can't even pronounce when there are completely natural and safe and proven products out there already? In my mind, Greenies have completely discredited themselves. I will never support Greenies, even if they claim to have changed their recipe. Why bother? Regardless of what they now put in the vat to make them, there are still better options available.
[notify]

Abby

Ah, to Sleep in- the Shade

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 12:44pm PST 
Gio - I think the appeal has to do with the fact that all the "breath freshening" treats look like toothbrushes and human mints.

I'm wary of any fad... I've never been particularly fond of Greenies. I don't see what in there (or any dog breath treat) is actually helping their oral hygene. My main concern is that people are going to go overboard again "because they're safe now," and dogs are going to get hurt again.

I don't like how processed they look, either... It doesn't look like anything in there is actually food. But I guess I associate these kind of treats with my love of Swedish Fish. No idea what I'm actually ingesting, but it's not killing me to eat them once and a while and they sure are good.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 3:09pm PST 
Well they taste great and we love 'em - old or new.

Edited to say, exactly what is the ingredient you have never heard of as mummy has heard of all those before.

Edited by author Sat Oct 7, '06 3:10pm PST

[notify]
♥Maze- l♥

Making the world- a better- place!!!

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 4:02pm PST 
Rosie~ I've never seen those ingredients in dog food before, but they're probably in people food.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Sun Oct 8, '06 2:23pm PST 
What is glycerin? I've seen it in a few "dental chews" but mostly I see it in my soap. Is it a binder or something?
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:03am PST 
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/glycerin.html

I still don't know what it is, Brody. I use it in a specific kind of frosting - Rosie's mum and I would know it as royal icing for Christmas cake. I think it preserves the frosting? Can someone educate me?
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:22am PST 
Glycerin is used in many, many foods - human and animal. It is used in jellies (not the American kind of jam) but the wobbly kind (it's used in a a vast array of foods instead of gelatin - which is from animal bones).

The proper definitely is "A syrupy alcohol derived from sugar used to maintain desired food consistency" . It makes cake icing shiny (Royal icing as Vincent said).

I just did a quick google check - it's is found in many dog treats.
[notify]