GO!

Calorie Conversion....

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Scribbles

Mmmmmm.....- Peanut- Butter.....

Barked: Sun Jun 4, '06 11:48pm PST 
Hi... I'm having some trouble calculating kilocalories into calories. Does anyone know how do convert kcal into cal?

Thanks!
Scribbles
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Mon Jun 5, '06 1:02am PST 
It depends what kind of calories you're referring to. You're most likely talking about nutritional Calories (note the capital C). 1 kilocalorie = 1 Calorie; in other words, they're equal. However, 1 kilocalorie = 1000 calories (small c). Nutritional Calories use kilocalories because it makes more sense to use those units when dealing with large numbers.

For more info, there's a Wikipedia article about it.
[notify]
Scribbles

Mmmmmm.....- Peanut- Butter.....

Barked: Mon Jun 5, '06 1:58am PST 
So... if there was 950 kcal/kg would equal 9.5 calories and 3230 kcal/kg would equal 32.3 calories?

I'm on a weight management formula and I was just trying to calculate the kcal into calories... because that's what my Mama knows best.

Scribbles
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 5, '06 7:25am PST 
Actually, Scribbles, 950 kcal would equal 9.5 Calories, and 3230 kcal would equal 32.3 Calories. Big "C"s. The prefix 'kilo-' (abreviated k) just means 'thousand'. When you're talking about your computer, you may mention a file that is '50k', or '50kb'. That means kilobyte, or one thousand bytes -- a measure of computer memory. A kilogram is a metric measure equal to 1000 grams. One calorie (small 'c') is the amount of energy (heat) it takes to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree Celcius. Just like Fudge said, that measure is an extrememly tiny one! That's why when we're talking about food Calories we just use kcals or Calories instead of calories.

Unless you are dealing with a medical problem that makes weight loss difficult, it is not a super complicated thing to help your dog lose excess weight. There are weight management formulas out there, which you mention that you're on, but these formulas just usually mean more fillers and less protein and fat in the same quantity of food. These foods are appealing to what you as a human think needs to happen to lose weight, which isn't exactly how your dog is going to lose weight most effectively. Dogs convert fat and protein into energy a lot better than us humans do. By adding more fillers and cutting back on other materials in food, you might have a harder time encouraging Scribbles to excercize enough. Commercial dog food companies want you to think that weight loss is hard and complicated and that you need one of their special formulas to do it, which simply isn't true.

You will see the best results if you let Scribbles get MORE excercise (start slow, but make sure Scribbles gets to do lots of running and playing. Yorkies are usually pretty energetic!) and feed less food than you were before. You also might want to consder the quality of Scribbles' food. A better source of nutrition will mean more of what Scribble's needs to be healthy within less food. Also monitor the amount of extras Scribbles is getting aside from meals. A lot of times meals aren't to blame for a dog being overweight, it's treats and snacks and really rich foods being given out without reducing the size of actual meals.
[notify]