GO!

Is Canola Oil safe/healthy for dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nikki

FOOD FOOD FOOD

Barked: Thu Apr 27, '06 1:31pm PST 
iii

Edited by author Thu Sep 12, '13 1:55pm PST

[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Thu Apr 27, '06 1:49pm PST 
Canola oil is fine for dogs. It doesn't have as much of the whatever omegas it's good to supplement your dog's food with, though, so I wouldn't reccomend giving it as a supplement.

As a food ingredient it's OK. Personally I'd prefer to see chicken fat or some sort of fish oil or flax oil or sunflower oil in there instead of canola oil because they have more nutritional value. But canola oil isn't bad.

From the Dog Food Project check out thier page on fatty acids: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=fattyacids

Here's what Natura's ingredient defintion of canola oil is:

Canola oil is the oil obtained from the repeated pressing of canola seeds.

Canola oil, although a single-source oil, is lower in the essential linoleic acids which provide a lustrous coat and soft, supple skin.

So summary: not bad, but not the absolute best... but merrick is good food in many respects so take that into account, too.
[notify]
Athena

Barked: Thu Apr 27, '06 4:12pm PST 
There are better oils out there to use. Personally I'd want to make sure it was organic, expeller-pressed. I woule use olive oil over canola oil any day.

Here is a little information on Canola oil and the form that is used for most dog foods and what you would buy in you normal grocery aisle. To get expeller pressed you would go to a natural health food or the natural section of your grocery store. I'm sure dog foods are not forking out the extra $$$$

Canola oil - which comes from Rape which is in the mustard family. Canola Oil contains some omega-3's in the form of LNA, along with a substantial amount of monounsaturated fat-62% in total. Unfortunately, canola oil also contains up to 5% of erucic acid, a toxic fatty acid which may cancel its potential value as an omega-3 source.

Also, the omega-3 fraction may even be removed from much commercial canola oil because it decreases shelf life of the product. Canola oil is neutral flavored, widely available, and heavily promoted as a healthy, monosatruated fat, but I consider it a distant runner-up to olive oil. Commercial canola oil is extracted in ways (heat, solvents, bleaching) that damage the oil, and pesticides are used heavily on rape.

Edited by author Thu Apr 27, '06 4:13pm PST

[notify]

Sara

My new name: - SUPER GLUE

Barked: Fri Apr 28, '06 5:05am PST 
Nikki--Sara Here:

Another oil you might check into, is pure Wheat Germ Oil.

REX is an excellent one to use.

Very Rich...Just a little dab will do you.

1/2 teaspoon for dogs under 50 pounds.
1 teaspoon for dogs 50-100 pounds.
2 teaspoons for dogs over 100 pounds.

Of course, if your pooch is allergic to wheat, forget it.
[notify]
Nikki

FOOD FOOD FOOD

Barked: Fri Apr 28, '06 8:06am PST 
Hi ya!

we were just about to alternate food (high quality) once again, and we were thinking about Merricks, but I see it contains canola oil, as does acouple of others that I have looked at. it's in the food, not going to add it as a supplement. we use salmon oil and evco. for that. Just wondering why high quality food adds canola oil and not olive or higher quality oils???
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Fri Apr 28, '06 11:39am PST 
When Sabrina had her mouth tumor removed she had to eat wet food for 2 weeks. We were going to get some Merrick wet food but the canola oil turned us off of it (this was before Evo came out with their wet food)... So I totally understand not choosing a food because of that. I have no idea why they would use canola oil instead of a better oil... unfortunately the only reason I can think of is to cut costs.
[notify]
Valentina

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 2:36pm PST 
Hi Nikki, I was researching the same question when an internet search brought your question up from the Dogster forum. I realize the entry is from 2006, but I thought I might include a response anyway, just in case you are still searching for an answer. I just finished reading an article by Bruce Fife, N.D., entitled "Canola Oil: Is It Healthy?" in the November/December 2012 issue of Well Being Journal. I've been searching for the answer myself to the question, "Which oils are healthy and which are dangerous for dogs (and humans)?” Fife brings up some interesting points that I hadn’t heard before. If I understand the article, he says that canola oil is not a natural oil. Rapeseed contains glucosinolates (a natural insecticide) and “a particularly nasty fatty acid, erucic acid.” In order to reduce the erucic acid, rapeseed has been genetically modified. The U.S. allows up to 2% erucic acid and Europe allows up to 5%. Apparently, according to Fife, even 2% can have very negative effects on the human body causing serious metabolic disorders. The article mentions studies done on animals and states that canola oil can cause rise in blood pressure, insulin resistance, risk of stroke, can cause kidney lesions and shorten life span. The article mentions a Canadian study that fed canola oil to piglets and, even though adequate vitamin E was provided, the piglets became vitamin E deficient. Another thing I learned from this article is that ANY oil that contains a higher amount of Omega-3 (such as flaxseed, canola, etc.) should never be heated because Omega 3’s are very delicate and highly sensitive to heat, will oxidize and will change into very toxic substances which will quickly deplete the body of antioxidant Vitamin E stores, possibly leading to serious diseases such as cancer, heart disease, muscle degeneration, etc. Fife states that all canola oil is processed under temperatures over 300 degrees, and because most has been genetically altered and heavily sprayed with insecticide, it cannot be marked “certified organic.” Fife says that it is the food companies that have touted food products as “healthy,” in order to make them “best sellers”. Fife is a certified nutritionist and naturopathic physician. He is director of the (nonprofit) Coconut Research Center. My question would be, “If canola oil is present in dog food (canned or dry) at how high of a temperature is it processed?” I just checked an online source for “raw organic, cold-pressed, canola oil” and it is for sale. It is advertised as “USDA Organic and Kosher Certified”, as well as non-GMO and pesticide free, so I’m not sure who to believe. PetfoodIndustry.com states that rapeseed oil “had a high content of erucic acid (an omega-9 fatty acid) that made it an effective industrial lubricant important to the war effort,” during World War II, but also that, “unfortunately, consumption of rapeseed by livestock led to an enlargement of the heart and poor performance as a direct result of erucic acid.” It speaks of “plant breeders” coming “to the rescue” and reducing the erucic acid and thus a new name for the oil was coined, “Canadian- oil-low-acid” or “Canola” oil. So, if the rapeseed was genetically modified to reduce the erucic acid, how can it be non-GMO? I think I will be sticking with raw, cold-pressed alternatives such as organic flaxseed oil, organic hemp oil, organic olive oil, and virgin coconut oil added to my puppy’s homemade food until I figure this out for myself. thinking I'd love to hear what you have discovered in your research since 2008.

Edited by author Sat Nov 3, '12 5:03pm PST

[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 9:45am PST 
It's slightly inflammatory, but still better than corn,soy,or peanut oil in terms of the 6-3 ratio. So I wouldn't worry about it.

If your going to ever supplement with a veggie-based fat, opt for extra virgin coconut oil. The other ones aren't worth it.

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 10:00am PST

[notify]
Mabel

Go Get 'Em

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 3:57am PST 
I give my dogs canola oil to keep their coats healthy and shiny. Along with a good quality food, weekly brushing, a good quality shampoo, and regular vet checkups, their coats look fantastic!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 11:11am PST 
Canola oil is not from canola seed, it is rape seed oil from the mustard family. It was used to make mustard gas in WWI. It has been linked to heart disease. Story has it that Canada paid the FDA $50 million to get it approved to sell in the USA.
Canada also is a main supplier of hogs to the slaughter houses in the USA. They use cancer causing growth hormones in their swine production that is illegal to use in the USA, so it is not unusual for unhealthy products from Canada to be used in the USA. The scarey thing is that canola oil is found in almost all processed food for human and dog. No wonder that heart disease has risen since the introduction of canola oil. I don't knowingly eat anything that has it in, I won't buy the stuff, but it is getting to be a major problem finding a good dog food that doesn't have it in it.
If anyone knows of a good puppy or dog food that does not have canola oil, can you send me the name of it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2