GO!

We want to buy a dog friendly couch

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lili

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 10:50am PST 
We have a 4 yr old lab that likes to sit on the couch with us and we would like to buy a new one that is nice, but maybe has removable/washable covers. There must be some dog owners out there that have found something that looks good and can be cleaned.
We have also considered leather, but not sure how it would hold up to occasional scratch/cleaning dog stuff.

Any ideas? Thanks,

fduvall
[notify]
Zebedee

the gift that- keeps on giving!

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 7:16pm PST 
We love to have our dogs sit with us also. We won't have a couch that does not have removable cushions. Some of the over stuffed ones have attached cushions that are hard to clean around. Having individual cushions also helps with washing the slip covers. You can order great slipcovers that cover the base and back of the couch and the cushions separately.

Unfortunately, a leather or pleather couch is hard to keep a slipcover on. I know some folks cringe at the thought of covers but we also take ours off in order to entertain.
[notify]
Keeva & Xena

Born to hunt!

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 8:43pm PST 
One of the reasons that we went with leather is because both pups have a tendancy to curl up against the couch or love seat, leaving oils on material. The leather is SO much easier to remove the oils they leave behind - just a wipe and it's gone! But neither dog is allowed up on the couch (partly because they have "tallons" rather than claws laugh out loud, so I can't vouch for that. I did know someone who had a Jaguar who swore by leather seats in her car with her two Vazula (sp?), but again, I don't know if leather in cars is different than leather you would get in furniture.
[notify]

Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 9:31pm PST 
Our next furniture will be leather. Some friends of ours have a style, I think it is called Bombay, that reminds me of like a bomber jacket... remember when that style was popular? It is the type that is supposed to look aged and scratched... you can also get some treatments that reduce the look of scratches on the leather. The best thing about leather is you can wipe it down. Easiest clean up ever. We use sheets as covers. (We're cheap! wink ). The sheets are super easy b/c you just toss them over, tuck them in, and yank them off right before your company shows up! big grin
[notify]
Moxie - my precious- angel - 1

I'll do it! Let- me!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 5:11am PST 
We've had leather couches the last 3 years. They've been holding up really well. Moxie thinks they are hers and sleeps on them every night. Before the leather we were replacing our couches every few years.
[notify]
Madalyn

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 6:35am PST 
I use a slipcover for my sofa. I bought it at surefit.com.
[notify]
Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 11:59am PST 
I guess it depends on how you're looking at the future. Is this a couch you want to last a decade or a couch you want just for a few years? If it's the latter, I'd just find a couch with durable material on it (mine is a soft version of corduroy). If you want it to last, just buy a slip cover (most are ~$90). I used to work at Linens N Things and we sold the SureFit brand. I got a few calls asking me "do your slip covers hold up to dog nails?" laugh out loud I have never used one but some of them seem like they would, just depends on the material
[notify]
Ainjel - In Loving- Memory 8/25

Queen!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 1:06pm PST 
Leather Leather Leather all the way - durable, dependable - my pooches are 5 and almost 8 and they've also been for my previous 6-year old - and a 4-year old child so far and they are indestructible.

plus - the best part is you can wip ethem down and they look like new again and again!
[notify]
In Memory of- PEANUT

Miss Chief

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '08 2:18pm PST 
Leather. A friend of mine has 3 Tibetan Terriers that are always on the couch. They have very long hair, double coat. She has a leather couch from Lay-Z-boy. All she has to do is wipe the hair off. She also has a vacuum cleaner made by Oreck (sucks up all the hair).
[notify]
Bear and- Bambi - Mommys- Angels

My Sweet Angels

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '08 1:18pm PST 
wave Our Mommy loves microfiber. At our house there are 5 Chihuahuas and a German Shepherdshock The material is very strong, doesn't rip easily, cleans great!!! Mommy is home everyday and she just wipes or vaccuums everybody's hair off. I tried leather and with a German Sherpherd it wasn't working...her toenails punctured it!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3