GO!

Grumpy with certain dogs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Remmi

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 8:25pm PST 
Remmi is nearly four and has always been very friendly with dogs up until a month ago. Now she is starting to growl and bear her teeth at dogs that approach us or her. They are mostly young boisterous dogs, but I am afraid that if a breed like a staffy (that will stand up for itself) approaches that the other dog with fight back. I don't know what to do. If I am not near her and dogs approach, she is fine. Any ideas?
[notify]
PJ

Getting wet and- dirty is fun

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '09 9:28am PST 
Lots of dogs don't like puppies or younger dogs as they are rude. PJ can not be near any puppy or young dog who has no manners. There are calming signals dogs will make to show the other dog everything is okay...and when a dog does not display these the other dog may feel threatened.

Sounds like Remmi is protecting you. Can you maybe give an example...like where you are? Are you on leash or off leash?

PJ used to love being around other dogs. After a dog attack about the age of 3 he started to be very picky of the dogs he was around. Did anything maybe happen to Remmi to cause him to change?
[notify]
Remmi

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '09 11:17pm PST 
Remmi has never been attacked by other dogs. It usually happens in the lead free area of our local lakeside park and when she is off her lead. She is a very friendly dog but it only happens when the younger dogs come bouncing towards her and all over her. When it happens I say "NO" and it seems to stop straight away, but she has a very short memory. My main concern is that if a young "tougher" dog comes bounding towards her and she bears her teeth, that the other dog may retaliate and it could get very nasty.

Any advice would be appreciated.
[notify]

PJ

Getting wet and- dirty is fun

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 4:01am PST 
The only advice I can give you is what we do for PJ when we are in open space. When I take PJ to the dog park I go on less crowded days and I stay aware what other dogs are in our space. When I see a puppy or younger dog we go in another direction or we leash up so PJ doesn't have contact with them. Like I said puppies/younger dogs are very rude...look at their behavior and signals they send to other dogs.
[notify]
Colby

Colby the One- and Only

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 8:43pm PST 
Colby can be "grumpy" w/ strange dogs or rude dogs that try to jump up on me. I've had to be very vigilant as he seems to dislike most goldens and there's tons of them on the walking trails. He responds well to corrections [most of the time]. OTOH, once he gets to know a dog he's quite content to just trot along, casting for birds and occasionally getting into a romp/chase.
[notify]
Remmi

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 10:02pm PST 
Thanks very much for the response. I'm glad Remmi isn't the only one with grumpy issues. Guess I will have to try to be vigilant. She met one of her sisters the other day (pure coincidence) and they were both friendly at the start but then they got sick of each other pretty quickly. Sasha, her sister, reacted the same way as Remmi towards a dog that came bounding towards her. Perhaps it runs in the family.

Thanks again.
[notify]
sam

Swimming Sam

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 6:34pm PST 
My ESS will be 2 in April-he is grumpy sometimes-the 1st time he was passing another dog on leash and Sam jumped on the other dog-growling and barring his teeth-when he is only with (papa) he is fine I am wondering if he is protecting me (mom)
[notify]