GO!

Flying from Phoenix to Seattle

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Jilly

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 1:52pm PST 
I travel a LOT. If a dog is an assistance or emotional support dog, they can come out of the carrier. Do you think that is different? You have to know your own dog. There is no local, state or federal law prohibiting removal of a pet from a carrier on an airplane. I repeat, it is against airline rules unless the dog is assistance or emotional support.

Yes, this IS bullying!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 4:17pm PST 
Yes. It is different. Those people have disabilities that need to be mitigated and are protected by the ADA. They aren't just sitting in their handlers lap for comfort, they're working with their owner. It can be life or death to separate a Service Dog and their Handler, you are encouraging it for no good reason at all.

Breaking the rules of a company, when you agreed to abide by them just by stepping within the establishment, is against the law.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 6:10pm PST 
From the FAA site:

What are the FAA rules regarding traveling with pets in the passenger cabin?
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) allows each airline to decide if they will allow you to travel with your pet in the passenger cabin. If an airline does allow you to bring your pet into the cabin, we consider your pet container to be carry-on baggage and you must follow all carry on baggage rules (14 CFR part 121, section 121.589)

The CFR I bolded contains the info stating the pet must stay in the carrier. Again, as mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration NOT the airlines themselves.
[notify]

Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 7:09pm PST 
By all that's good and holy, Jilly, you are getting told how it is by responsible, intelligent pet owners. You have not been bullied you took a great deal of offense to something that was simply being pointed out to you. Perhaps because despite your loud protestations you really do feel guilt?

As for Emotional Support Animals and Service Dogs YES there is a HUGE difference. I take great offense to the idea that you feel your PET dog is entitled to be loose in the cabin of a plane just like an ESA or SD. Those are working dogs. SDs and most ESAs are specially trained and are necessary for their owner to be able to live their lives normally. Your pet dog is just that. A PET. Not protected by the ADA, and while certainly beloved by you, as Nare pointed out, not a matter of life and death to separate you.

Kindly refrain from comparing your pet dog to a working dog. There is no comparison there. By acting so entitled you are causing more public access challenges for Service Dogs and their handlers in the future.

If I come across as harsh, forgive me, I have worked with SDs and their people and been one myself. This kind of behavior from pet dog owners causes so many problems.
[notify]
Jilly

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 8:55pm PST 
All you guys who commented must be perfect individuals. A 3# chihuahua in my lap, under a blanket is a problem for you animal lovers? How about how SHE feels under a seat for 6 hours? You have no idea how many compliments I get about her behaviour, even approached at baggage pick-up by people from the flight to say how great an example Jilly is for other dogs. I may be guilty of breaking a rule and I have said that before, but I don't reply to random posts with rude remarks and bully tactics.
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 2:52am PST 
Airlines have pet information on their website. I’ve moved with Darcy and Joshua and both were shipped via airplane. As long as you follow the rules of the airline, everything goes very smoothly. They had their blankets in with them, so they were nice and snuggly. But, I don’t think they enjoyed the ride. It was very stressful for them. Darcy spooked while being brought out to me in the pickup area and I thought his crate was going to come apart! He calmed down once he saw me, though. I’m not sure if the blankets were allowed, but nobody said anything about them.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2