GO!

First pet-friendly vacation--Suggestions?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy

Throw the ball,- already!

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 4:52pm PST 
I'm looking to go on vacation with my dog, Buddy. This would be the first time I tried planning a vacation that I could have my dog with me. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a vacation spot they've been to that was good for them and their pets? I was thinking somewhere where I could hike/swim with buddy, and maybe with a few restaurants that let dogs on the outside patios or something? I really don't care to do anything on the vacation that I can't take Buddy with me, so I'm looking for somewhere that's very pet friendly. big grin
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 1:22pm PST 
Any particular area? About how far were you planning to travel?

Here's an article I saw recently that lists some pet friendly vacation areas around the US: 10 Pet-Friendly Vacation Spots. I've been to five of those locations (Carmel, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle) at least once with my dogs and all had areas to swim and hike with dogs. I especially like Carmel for a vacation with dogs as it's both small and very dog oriented, so the people are really friendly and personable with dogs and their humans.

Edited by author Wed Apr 24, '13 1:24pm PST

[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 11:15pm PST 
Thanks! I really like the look of Carmel. big grin

I didn't have anywhere in mind, I'm just looking to go somewhere. Anywhere that isn't my boring, prejudice little two mile town laugh out loud

Any suggestions/tips on packing and actually traveling with a dog?
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 12:59pm PST 
Driving or flying?

When I travel with my dog(s) I have food/water dishes, food, bottled water, multiple collars, harnesses, and leashes including a long line, proof of rabies, a couple photos of the dog (in case he gets lost), dog bed, some toys, a few towels, an extra ID tag, a first aid kit, poop bags, and chews like Bully Sticks and antlers.

In the car, it's a good idea (and in some places the law) to have the dog restrained in some way. Because my dogs are large, crates aren't very feasible, so I use a car harness. A long line is handy to have for rest stops so the dog can stretch his legs while still being under complete control since you'll generally be right by a highway. Always keep a collar with ID on just in case. Bringing a bed is nice so the dog can be comfortable during the long hours driving.

If traveling by plane, your dog will need a recent health certificate from your vet and an airline approved crate. Different airlines have different specific requirements beyond that.
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 5:58am PST 
I'll be driving--thanks for all the tips!!
[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 5:17pm PST 
Colorado Springs, CO is also very pet friendly.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 8:01pm PST 
Pet friendly Carmel by the sea.
[notify]
Max

Lifes a Beach -

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 6:45am PST 
HEy I see you live in AL. Not sure where, but Amelia Island in Florida is pretty dog freindly, with some hotels taking the bigger dogs and the beach is dog freindly as long as they are on a leash( i use our extendaleash for the beach) there are a couple of bars and resteraunts in the downtown area that accept dogs and a dog park. when i go to gulf shores it takes me about 8 hrs of driving so you wouldnt have to fly smile
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 2:51pm PST 
Natcho loves to come camping with us. I'm sure most campgrounds in your area are dog-friendly. Natcho just loveeesss the lake! She's so tired by the end of the day, she sleeps like a log. laugh out loud
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 7:44pm PST 
We book a pet friendly rental vacation home that is privately owned. Specifically it's on Lake Wisconsin. There's a little beach down the road I can walk them to. And it's a short drive from the Dells so we can still do all the fun stuff we've always done.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2