GO!

Travelling with dogs.. New to this.

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 2:59am PST 
I've gone on mini-road trips before just for the fun of it with the dogs, and those always go well. Or short road trips that take a few hours to get to a families home, etc. But those are typical and usually not that long.

January 24th, my fiance and I will be traveling up to British Columbia to visit family in Prince George and Fort St. John. We'll be returning home on the following Monday.

I've already looked up dog friendly hotels and plan to call ahead and ask a few questions and reserve a room for a few nights in whatever one we're most comfortable with. How many have stayed in hotels with their dogs? What do you look for in a dog friendly hotel and why? What are the 'rules' of staying in one with dogs? My dogs are relatively quiet, and we'll be taking one or both kennels on the drive to put the dogs in, in the hotel room. Also, have/would you ever leave your dogs in the hotel alone during the day?

I've contacted a boarding kennel/daycare in Prince George and asked a few questions, etc and MAY end up doing a day boarding with them when visiting with family where we can't have the dogs(such as at my great grandmothers as she has a dog that would not be comfortable with our dogs there), but if I do that, it would require getting updated vaccinations on both dogs and not only am I uncomfortable doing that for Charlie(because of his epilepsy), but I hear titres are expensive too.. It's still a debate on that front. But the dogs get walked, get their own 'rooms'(or together if requested), and they have quite the nice set up.

I do not have family competent enough to look after our dogs safely while we're gone, which is why the dogs will be going with us. I don't mean that rudely, either. My aunt has repeatedly let Charlie off leash in her cat/rabbit-filled neighborhood before I realized what was happening and never let her look after Charlie again. She also let her small children walk my dog who can be VERY hard to walk for kids. My moms family... Well, Charlie is an escape artist and they have a non-fenced farm they live on, which they let their dogs free roam on. My grandmother, I wouldn't even ask. My fiance's family is full of ignorant, terrible dog owners. I'd sooner board my dogs and I'm not comfortable with doing that for such long periods of time while gone either - my reasoning being largely due in part to Charlie's epilepsy, and he's much like an ESA(he is not officially by any means) and he gets me through my days a lot. I have separation anxiety when it comes to my boy.

So.. thoughts, advice, ideas?

We do intend to buy a bunch of bully sticks, raw bones, chews etc from my work(I work in a pet health/nutrition store), to provide them with when we're visiting family during the day and not there consistently or have to leave them alone for any periods of time anywhere. I also plan to fill pop bottles and milk jugs with water for the dogs for the road trip too and may talk my fiance into a good long walk prior to the drive too. Both dogs also have tags with all their information and our phone numbers on them too in the instance either gets lost and both our cell phones are set up for long distance for the trip too.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 2:39pm PST 
I don't know what is in Canada, but LaQuinta here in US are reasonably priced and don't charge extra for dogs. A lot of places say they're dog-friendly, until you read the fine print about per night or per stay charges, and/or size limits (probably not a problem for you, but could have been for me). Many hotels say you must keep dog crated when you're not there - some will just not clean your room without you crating or removing the dog from the room. There was a Hampton Inn I stayed at that didn't have an extra charge for a dog, but I don't know if that's a chain-wide policy.

One small hotel in a small town that didn't have a LaQuinta fussed constantly about noise. Yes, Ace barked when the door slammed next door or someone walked by the room, but it wasn't constant or really even that loud. I had to do laundry (and dogs weren't allowed near the hotel laundry room), Ace would whine when I left the room, so I ended up taking her to the car every time I changed loads (it was winter, so no heat issues, otherwise it would have been a real issue).

I've road tripped a couple of times with Ace. I don't go more than 2-3 hours without us getting out to stretch our legs at least a little bit, and offer her water then. Good walks in the AM and PM too.

I would look into doggie day care if I were going on another trip that would require extended absences during the day.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 7:52pm PST 
I offer this as a suggestion only because we just booked a place, but... have you tried AirBnB? It's a neat site- BNBers post their places online, and yes, you can search by pet friendly homes. I was looking for a getaway for my husband, myself and Miyu over his birthday weekend, and we really wanted to bring her. I got in touch with 3 places in my price range in the area I wanted. One lady asked a few more questions, and when I answered said she'd be happy to host us. Another place answered back almost immediately as well, and said yes, they do allow pets, and she didn't even charge a pet fee, as long as nothing was wrecked. So that was neat!

Mostly I think with AirBnB because it's people and not chains you're more likely to encounter people okay with animals. There are pet lovers looking to make a few extra dollars too, after all. I know you'd make sure Charlie and Ria behaved themselves, otherwise I wouldn't suggest this. I would otherwise just try to note that with AirBnb it's probably wisest to be as polite and respectful as is possible. Probably another obvious point, but I feel it is wise stating it...
[notify]