GO!

Moving out of state to college? What options are there for my dog?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Ella

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:04pm PST 
Originally I was thinking I could re-home my dog, have someone watch my cat for a year, and then come back and get the cat. However, I've been trying for months now to find my dog a suitable home and I'm not finding one. She's been passed back and forth between the shelter a lot in her 9 years, always getting adopted because she's cute and friendly, but then getting brought back for people-inflicted behavioral problems. So I'm very particular about where she goes as I want her to have a home forever.

My concern is that I will be gone at school and work a lot. I've worked at home the entire time I've owned her. I tried all of the rescue centers and everyone is full. All of them told me it would be better for her to stay with me, regardless of how much time I'm home, as chihuahuas draw their security from their person.

Taking them with me initially would be incredibly complicated and expensive, due to trying to find an apartment. Other option is seeing if someone will watch her for a year, and then I come back to get them. Even this issue is complicated as I'd need a second person to fly with me so I could take both in the cabin. I don't know anyone in the college's city, so I am not able to have a friend there watch them.

Are there any other options? Do you have any suggestions? I want to find a happy medium between what is best for them and best for me. My education is extremely important and I don't want them displaced for a temporary situation.

Edited by author Tue Nov 6, '12 9:17pm PST

[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:36pm PST 
Could you take her with you and try like a dog walker or see about doggy day care?
[notify]
Dante

Cuddling,- walking, food,- it's all good.

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:39am PST 
Dogs and cats dont view 'time' as we do. When you are there you are THERE, when you are not....sigh, let's take a nap. It may be difficult, but find an apt that allows them. Family is family.
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:49am PST 
What was your plan when you first got both of your pets?

I can't imagine you thought you'd just re-home them when you got to this point in your life. So why not do what you originally intended to do when you got them and keep them forever?

Who cares if it'll cost a bit more, or it might be a little tougher finding a place to live initially. People relocate their pets with them all the time, it's really not that big of a deal. You can't put a price tag on love or on the commitment you originally took on when you took them in. So you drive to your destination instead of fly, that's really not a big deal. Once you get there a cat is a cat and will be just fine staying alone while you come home for visits. Heck, if you wanted to leave them both you just board them or hire a pet sitter. If the new town is big enough to have a college in it it's plenty big enough to have looooads of boarding and pet sitter options.

I wouldn't care if my life changed and my dogs had to stay home alone while I worked long hours (as opposed to working long hours working from home now lol), there is no way, no how, no amount of money that would ever convince me to give them up. I made a promise to them when I took them in, I'd never go back on that.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 8:07am PST 
When are you moving? Could you not look for a dog friendly apartment in the area? If worst comes to worst, will your family be willing to watch her for a year?
[notify]
Jilly

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 3:37pm PST 
I'm wondering what happened to your 4 lb Yorkie, Coco, with whom Ella was attached at the hip? Please work hard to keep Ella and live up to your side of the commitment when you adopted her a year and a half ago. I have chihuahuas and they are not as worrisome to leave for a work day as they don't absolutely require daily outside exercise and easily adapt to wee wee pads. Good luck and if you don't mind sharing, where do you live?
[notify]
Pharaoh

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 3:37pm PST 
It's not like you have a pitty or a dane. (: It'll probably be way easier than you're thinking to bring them with you. A large number of apts will allow small pets.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 2:38pm PST 
I agree with the last comment, many landlords are fine with cats and small dogs. I would say the same thing everyone else is saying. It doesn't matter if you'll be out long hours sometimes, your pups will be elated with ANY time you have with them. Look into a friendly landlord option...it'll be worth it
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 4:00pm PST 
I agree with the ideal of finding a pet friendly apartment. If the dog is used to the cat, they will keep each other company while you are awaysmile And yes, there are pet friendly apartments out there. We have a duplex and our tenant now has 2 cats, both with our permissionsmile We would have been fine with him having a dog, but he is a cat person shrug wink
[notify]