GO!

Dogs in the Arab World?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

MT TOP's- Secret- Agent,- C.G.C.

R.I.P. Kahaus

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 10:17am PST 
I am an Arabic language major at my university, and an avid, lifelong dog lover.

It is very likely that I will go abroad for one or more short-term periods during my language studies to improve my command of Arabic, and possibly to work. If I went anywhere else, I would have no qualms about taking my animals with me, but I've always heard that people really just don't keep dogs in much of the Arab world (particularly Saudi) because they are considered unclean in Islam, so I have people lined up to take care of my dog in that event. However, I have been doing some research and it seems like having dogs as pets, while not as widespread in the Arab world, is not totally unheard of, and neither is traveling with your pets.

Can someone who is from/has traveled to parts of that region advise me: should the dog stay at home or no?
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 12:05pm PST 
Depends on what country you are in, and what is going on there. Some of the countries, particularly Egypt right now, have a ban on pets coming into or leaving the country. It could be tricky moving your dog back out once your job is done there. Any of those countries have rather unstable law at the moment, so even if you've got the go ahead now, it might change in two years. If you were looking at a more "modern" type society like Europe or Asia I'd say go for it, but with the Arab countries it might be difficult.

Also, if your dog is a Berner, it might be really uncomfortable there. I would feel guilty moving mine even further South in the US, bol.

Another thing to consider is that since pets are kind of a new concept there, what foods and veterinary care would be available to you?
[notify]